MSI K8N dual channel, 2 GB

deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
edited February 2006 in Hardware
OKay, I've got my opty running at 2.6 and all is well with the world...except dual channel doesn't work. I'm guessing this is due to my memory configuration (2 1GB sticks) and after reading the tables in my motherboard manual I think this config isn't supported with dual channel. Is there anything I can do to get it working or is dual channel just not feasible with 2GB?

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Im surprised by that as my K8N 939 board (nForce 4) has dual channel running with 2 x 1GB sticks...

Take a look at the slot configuration. It's not that clear in the manual.. :)
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited February 2006
    What shorty said. Opterons are all Dual Channel Memory configs. But if you have both DIMMs on the same memory channel your only going to get 64bit access.

If its a MSI K8N NF4 mobo it should be
    DIMM 1 & 3 = DC 128bit
    DIMM 2 & 4 = DC 128bit
    DIMM 1 & 2 = SC 64bit
    DIMM 3 & 4 = SC 64bit
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited February 2006
    I have the same board and a 3000+, right now i'm runnin 2 X 256 of G.skill @ 2-3-3-6 (waiting on 2X512 of Kingston Hyperx)...it starts locking up if i run it in 1 & 3 or 2 & 4!
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited February 2006
    I've got them in 1 & 3... from what I can see it should be running Dual channel. There's a thing in the manual about single / double sided memory modules though, stating that if you have double sided modules in both banks then dual channel won't work.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I have double sided GeIL.. works ok for me. Mine are in slots 1&2 :)
    edited February 2006
    hmm, maybe that's the problem, I assumed that the slots are colour coded so that if you put 2 dimms in the blue slots you're running dual channel...maybe that's not the case and the dimm slots are coded so that each channel is a different colour... which kind of makes sense I guess. I'll have a fiddle when I get home tonight. Cheers guys.
    edited February 2006
    Try setting your Memory to Command Rate 2T instead of 1T
    edited February 2006
    Omega65 wrote:
    What shorty said. Opterons are all Dual Channel Memory configs. But if you have both DIMMs on the same memory channel your only going to get 64bit access.

If its a MSI K8N NF4 mobo it should be
    DIMM 1 & 3 = DC 128bit
    DIMM 2 & 4 = DC 128bit
    DIMM 1 & 2 = SC 64bit
    DIMM 3 & 4 = SC 64bit

that's incorrect for the K8N Diamond plus, the correct config is:

DIMM 1 & 2 = DC 128bit
    DIMM 3 & 4 = DC 128bit
    DIMM 2 & 3 = SC 64bit
    DIMM 2 & 4 = SC 64bit

seems a bit strange but the MSI website agrees with my personal experience.
    edited February 2006
    It's a misprint - I should have written that that's the config for the MSI K8N NF3.... It looks like they changed it for the NF4. Still if you can do Dual Channel with either Command Rate 1T or at least 2T somethings wrong somewhere.
    edited February 2006
    ah, sorry for the miscommunication, dual channel is working fine now with DIMMS in slots 1&2.