After crash no audio

bayjbayj Denver
edited February 2006 in Hardware
Hi, I hope someone can help me. I know zip about hardware etc.

My computer was over heating and my niece used it anyway while I was out of town. As a result it crashed. I have fixed the over heating problem(fans).
and my computer is up and running fine.BUT I have no audio. It is an AMD athlon 1.99 ghz with NVIDIAn Force, It doesn't have a sound card. I think I have checked all obvious causes, volume, drivers etc. Please advise. thank you .( os is windows xp)

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Try uninstalling the nForce audio drivers and reinstalling the latest nForce unified driver package. What kind of motherboard do you have?
  • bayjbayj Denver
    edited February 2006
    I dont know what kind of mother board, How do I find out. Sorry this is new territory for me. Thanks

It is a sony Vaio multi-media model PCV-RXA842 AMD Athlon XP 2400 + ,with 80gb Ultra ATA/100 Hard drive. I don't know if that helps.
    edited February 2006
    Well, did you buy the computer from a major manufacturer such as Dell or Gateway, or is it a "whitebox" machine from a smaller shop. No apologies necessary! None of us are experts at everything :)
  • bayjbayj Denver
    edited February 2006
    Sony Vaio, I edited my last thread to include specs. Thanks
  • bayjbayj Denver
    edited February 2006
    I went to the Sony website and downloaded an updated driver, but I didn't uninstall any drivers. Is Sony where I should go to download a (unified driver Package?)? I down loaded the updated driver a few days ago. Should you always uninstall the current driver before you update etc.? Thank you for your time.
    edited February 2006
    Yeah, generally you should uninstall the old drivers before installing the new. You say you don't know squat, but you are doing exactly what I was going to tell you do to anyway! :D

Let us know if the new drivers work.
  • bayjbayj Denver
    edited February 2006
    I uninstalled the current drivers and downloaded the latest unified drivers from nvidia. Still no sound. sorry it took so long to get back to you (have to work for a living). Any other ideas at all would be appreciated. Thank You
  • rocket9244rocket9244 nebraska,usa
    edited February 2006
    try installing a new sound card..maybe the onboard one fried..it happens...you can get a good card for $20.00 at best buy/comp usa..etc etc..