concerned with x2 4200 but i did it

borzborz Brisbane ,Qld
edited February 2006 in Hardware
Hi all

dont know if this in the right forum . but here goes

I finally did it. I upgraded from amd 64 3000+ to X2 4200+ Winchester .it installed. Ok checked with device manager shows up as 2 processors .

Using CPUZ I checked the speed which read 1808Mhz. multiplier 9 so I swapped it to 10. Don’t know if I have done the right thing. A real novice at work here. Temp read s 44 deg . what I am worried about is that I have stepped up the multiplier by one and Not sure if that’s the way go . absolutely no idea. Used speed fan to read the temp. what are the temp on ur x2 4200+

Anyone any ideas thanks

Specs . k8nsnxp-939 ,1G geil , amd x2 4200

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited February 2006
    Hi Borz,

1800MHz (9x200) is likely the manual setting that was used for your 3000+. The 3000+ has a default clock speed of 1800MHz.

As for the 4200+, it definitely should show up as two processors, because it literally is. AMD's 4200/4400/4600/4800/FX60 processors are all dual-core parts.

The 4200+ should actually be running at 2.2GHz, not 1.8. You'll actually have to specify an 11x multiplier in the BIOS for it to operate at it's default speed. (11x200=2.2GHz) So basically, you'll have two 2.2GHz A64 processors.

As for the temperature, 44'C is not too bad, but it should be a little lower at idle. If that is at full load (running F@H or prime95) then you are golden.

Good choice on the processor!
    borz wrote:
    Hi all

dont know if this in the right forum . but here goes

I finally did it. I upgraded from amd 64 3000+ to X2 4200+ Winchester .it installed. Ok checked with device manager shows up as 2 processors .

Using CPUZ I checked the speed which read 1808Mhz. multiplier 9 so I swapped it to 10. Don’t know if I have done the right thing. A real novice at work here. Temp read s 44 deg . what I am worried about is that I have stepped up the multiplier by one and Not sure if that’s the way go . absolutely no idea. Used speed fan to read the temp. what are the temp on ur x2 4200+

Anyone any ideas thanks

Specs . k8nsnxp-939 ,1G geil , amd x2 4200
  • borzborz Brisbane ,Qld
    edited February 2006
    thank you lemonlime

yeah just new to all this dual core but its really cool . i have installed hot fixes from microsoft and amd . no that is idle temperture . so you think it s bit high yeah . what yours running at ? wonder if the paste went on well. whats sort of cooling are you using ?

i thought that might have been the default setting for 3000+. its on 10 so ill put it up to 11

thanks again mate
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited February 2006
    borz wrote:
    thank you lemonlime

yeah just new to all this dual core but its really cool . i have installed hot fixes from microsoft and amd . no that is idle temperture . so you think it s bit high yeah . what yours running at ? wonder if the paste went on well. whats sort of cooling are you using ?

i thought that might have been the default setting for 3000+. its on 10 so ill put it up to 11

thanks again mate

Hi Borz,

I'd say that the idle temperature is a little on the high side, although not totally off the wall. Are you using the default CPU cooler that came with the 4200+ ? What sort of paste did you use, and how did you apply it? Did you just use the thermal paste that came pre-applied on the bottom of the heatsink?

I don't have a dual core, nor do I really use 'traditional' cooling methods :) on my PC, so I can't really compare mine. The X2s are quite efficient thermally, so doubling my temperatures is not a fair comparison either.

Perhaps someone else with an X2 processor could chime in and let us know what your temps are like on the retail cooler ;) ? I'd expect something in the mid to high 30s at idle, but I'm not totally sure. At load, it is probably not unusual to see high 40s, low 50s. If you overclock at all, its a totally different story, but at default clock speeds, thats about what I'd expect.
  • borzborz Brisbane ,Qld
    edited February 2006
    hi lemonlime

yeah well i am you using the default CPU cooler that came with the 4200+ . i used the paste that was already on it so yeah defualt all the way.

but i am working on proper cooling. dont know what or how i will do it!! . i am in the middle so swapping cases too . bought a thermaltake tusnami case .

well put the multiplier up to 11 to give 2.2G and thats all it will go up to. so yeah locked out after that

thanks very much for help
  • edited February 2006
    Borz, double check your BIOS and make certain that your Vcore is set to default, if it's set to 1.425V up your CPU will give you an abnormally high operating temp.

This is why I always go through the BIOS and set everything back to auto or default or just reset the CMOS altogether so that the new CPU will be detected and configured properly.
  • borzborz Brisbane ,Qld
    edited February 2006
    hi madmat . i did check the volategs read about 1.3av .temps chnegs between 41-43deg

just checking on some proper cpu cooling . default fan is annoying !!

thannks