Dell PowerEdge 7150 Problems

edited February 2006 in Hardware
Our 7150 does not read or detect the cdrom drive that came with the server. Why we don't know, we have tried using the open manage cd, the server currently has a weird version of debian linux on it that was not properly installed when I tried to use fdisk it sayed drive not found. They are SCSI drives, the command line OS loads up but I am unable to do anything with it.

We want to install Windows Server 2003 Enterprise but we are having no luck even though it appears to be first prioerity and activated in the bios.

Comments

• citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    isnt there a "wipe current config" option on Open Manage?
    i know compaq smart cd's have that option.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    For Windows, with SCSI, you might need Windows drivers for the SCSI controller or SCSI card (probably will) in order for Windows to see the SCSI drives. From the error it looks like Windows needs some help in the form of drivers on floppy.

In Linux, as administrator, do this:

cd /mnt/

ls -al

your CD-ROM hides as a mountable drive, and Linux hides the mountable drives in the /mnt/ directory.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited February 2006
    Our 7150 does not read or detect the cdrom drive that came with the server. Why we don't know, we have tried using the open manage cd, the server currently has a weird version of debian linux on it that was not properly installed when I tried to use fdisk it sayed drive not found. They are SCSI drives, the command line OS loads up but I am unable to do anything with it.

We want to install Windows Server 2003 Enterprise but we are having no luck even though it appears to be first prioerity and activated in the bios.

Errr why would you want to abandon debain for windows server 2k3.

Just reinstall debian :p
  • edited February 2006
    I want to reinstall debian but I forgot that other people have to be able to easily use the server too. So it must be downgraded to Windows, so the people can load games and stuff (hosting applications) without asking too many questions. Because the big man doesn't know jack about linux but he want's to learn.