Extra capacitor shipped with my video card?

fudgamfudgam Upstate New York
edited February 2006 in Hardware
I bought a refubished X850XT from newegg, and for the past... 2 weeks its just been sitting on my desk. Today I took a gander at the contents of the box and noticed a capacitor was lying in the package. I checked to see if there were any obvious spots on the card that should be covered by a capacitor, but found none.
Is it possible that this refurbished card was sent with an extra capacitor in the box? Im waiting on the power cable needed to power the PCI-express card, so I cant even test the card. Im not sure If I should send the card back to Newegg or what.

Comments

• tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited February 2006
    I dont know why they would ship an extra capacitor. Unless they have some new do it yourself repair policy, I bet one of the caps fell off on yours and its tough to find. Maybe im wrong, but i dont know why theyd ship an extra.
  • fudgamfudgam Upstate New York
    edited February 2006
    If there is a missing capactior, and I finally get he oportunity to power it up, will the card be damaged? Im guessing it just wont start up at all, and that would be the end of it, right?
    edited February 2006
    Crap, just looked up a pic of another x80xt, and I can see where its missing. THis capacitor definately broke off. I guess Im sending it back to newegg.
  • edited February 2006
    Yeah, I've read about this problem before. There was a bad batch of them that got out in the retail pipeline, evidently.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited February 2006
    fudgam wrote:
    Crap, just looked up a pic of another x80xt, and I can see where its missing. THis capacitor definately broke off. I guess Im sending it back to newegg.

Yikes, definitely send it back.. even if it does work without it, you'll likely have some unstable voltages on the card as a result. I had an old TI4600 that dropped a cap in transit. I had used it for weeks before I even noticed. Card worked fine for the most part, but crashed a couple of times while gaming :)
    edited February 2006
    I called newegg, turns out since it was refurbished and damaged during shipping they are giving me a refund, not a replacement, which is a pain. Hopefully they dont charge a restocking fee.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited February 2006
    thats good....i guess. The guys at newegg are always really nice about that kinda stuff. I've had broken parts come and they exchanged with no problems.
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited February 2006
    It is kind of hard to get one capacitor coming off the board, without some kind of hard handling of the package.
    And if you can't see any capacitor or any other look alike component missing.
    I'll guess it's just some "left over" from the previous card, in the package.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited February 2006
    Was it a powercolor ?

*Had the same problem happen with a 9250 from powercolor.. powercolor wouldn't replace it because of physical damage*
    edited February 2006
    Its a refurbished Saphire.
    I am positive that the cap is from this video card. I gave newegg a call (the number that pops up when you select carrier damage under RMA reason) and Im under the impression that I am going to recieve an email from Newegg now, with a pcking number or something. The customer service made it sound like UPS or Fedex will be comign to my door to pick it up, and Ill get a refund once they recieve the package.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    usually, you have to ship it back to them yourself, and if you give them enough flak about it, theyll reimburse you for the shipping.