question about usb vs ethernet interface on an hp printer

edited February 2006 in Hardware
hi

i just bought an hp laserjet 3800n which can be connected via upto usb 2 (but cable not included) or ethernet (which i do have a cat6 cable available) , but onthe manual, it says to ensure that the network cable is hp compliant!! what is that? r they referring to regular ethernet cable or that's just their marketing verbage to confuse people? also, between usb 2 interface and ethernet, which connection would be faster or it'd not be relevant because the max print speed for this is up to 22 ppm only; i have looked around but i get different terminology which is so confusing and frustrating; some sites even say that the printer by default comes with a usb 2 cable (which it did not)

please help shed some light

thank u

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    The "HP compliant" network cable thing is BS. Any ethernet cable will work.

They are not really any faster or slower - the ethernet connection is desirable if you want to share the printer with multiple computers since the printer has a built in print server. If you only have one computer printing to the machine, use the USB.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Never used a printer that uses ethernet cables, but I'd figure being a printer either USB or a regular ethernet cable should suffice just fine.
  • edited February 2006
    The "HP compliant" network cable thing is BS. Any ethernet cable will work.

They are not really any faster or slower - the ethernet connection is desirable if you want to share the printer with multiple computers since the printer has a built in print server. If you only have one computer printing to the machine, use the USB.

oh ok so basically it's just taking up a port in my router like a pc does, that's all; i have only used hp printers that r the basic models with parallel port and network them as tag along shared resource wtih the pc it's attached to; so this is new for me but it sounds logical enough

thank you guys for responding
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited February 2006
    Either way itl be fine. Dont know which would be faster, but its not like you'd notice the difference. It would be like a few millionths of a second difference between the two probably. I just made that up, but yea you wouldnt see a difference