xp home install error

edited February 2006 in Hardware
i recently had some trouble with xp home, so i formatted the hard drive in order to do a clean install. the problem now is that after doing the format, setup copies the files, then upon reboot, the initial setup starts all over again from the disc. i tried to remove the disc after the setup, and the computer just keeps restarting shortly after the post. any suggestions?

Comments

• tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited February 2006
    Just keep the disc in and it will say Press any key to boot from cd or whatever and it counts down, just let it run through that. Keep the disc in, and when its done with that, the windows setup will continue.
  • edited February 2006
    the problem is, after i do the initial install, and the pc reboots, it returns to the initial install screen again. it won't advance the install after reboot.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    When you are selecting the hard drive, make sure you fully delete the partition that currently has the operating system installed on it :)
  • edited February 2006
    thanks for the reply, i just got up and running a short while ago. i wasn't able to delete the current partition for the last couple of days. i ended up unplugging the power supply, and taking the battery out of the cmos. i replaced and was able to get into the bios config. after that, i tried to reinstall, and ended with a disk error, press ctrl-alt-del. i then changed the bios to cd/floppy/hdd, per the article. i was finally able to delete the existing partition through windows setup, reformat, and reinstall xp. now i'm just reloading all my software. thanks again guys for the assistance.:thumbsup:
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    That's good news :)

Glad we could at least sorta help you :cool: