VHS to DVD again

CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
edited February 2006 in Hardware
Just back from a fab holiday in New Zealand and need to edit 5 hours worth of camcorder miniDV. This will eventually be reproduced on a VHS tape for some rellies and a DVD for me.
I also want to transfer my existing holiday VHS tapes to DVD.

I've seen other threads on VHS to DVD but none quite answer my questions. Now, Bothered seems to be a big fan of Pinnacle 150 but in searching for info I've read some terrible reviews of the software. Also I can't find a UK supplier.
The other Pinnacle package I've found is the Pinnacle Studio 500, not sure what the difference is between the two packages.

Any body have any experience of these packages or can recommend an alternative? I would prefer the USB based input package but the output must be DVD not DivX as some of the cheaper packages seem to be.

By the way, my camcorder does not have "DV in" as some packages seem to require.

Cheers

Crypto

Comments

• botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited February 2006
    Bothered liked the Dazzle 150, but the Pinnacle software turned out to be rubbish. The Dazzle is a box that contains a MPEG decoder so you can connect an old VHS to it and get your vids into the PC, it works the other way as well for recording from the PC. There may be other ways but I didn't find them and the Dazzle works very well.
    I got rid of Pinnacle and bought Roxio Easy Media Creator 7. Fantastic software. It has 7 progs and it does everything. You can do slideshows with zooms on individual pics, add your own sound track etc. For Video you can add menus and chapters, animated if you wish, add sound tracks, edit the vid exactly as you want, yo can even overlay cutouts from pics over the video. It does everything then will burn your discs as you want or save them in the PC, you can them play them through the Dazzle to a VHS. It wasn't cheap, about £65 I think, but it is some of the best software i have bought. Here's a screeny to show what came with it. I can't recommend it enough.
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited February 2006
    Thanks for the heads up on the Dazzle/Pinnacle hardware. Your experience with the software pretty much confirms what I've read elsewhere. The Roxy media creator looks pretty comprehensive, thanks for the tip.

I'm now also looking at Hauppauge cards, they seem to include the same function as Dazzle. Anyone experience with Hauppauge?

Cheers

Crypto