Best overclocking mobo for an Athlon XP 3200?

HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
edited March 2006 in Hardware
i've got an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ cpu and would like opinions on what mobo would be best for a little overclocking.
It will be air-cooled, (Maybe even watercooled if I can find something that doesn't cost an arm & leg.)
I'm not up on whats best for price/performance--- watercooling, phase-change, canned air! etc.
So it will be moderately OC'ed for now.
Thnx for replies friends. :smokin:

Comments

• Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited February 2006
    Save your money for an upgrade to an Athlon 64. A Stock Venice Core 3500+ will defeat any overclocked XP, and it is itself is highly overclockable. If OCing the 3200+ is the better value and if you consider a DualCore CPU (Opteron 165 or 170) the XP 3200+ isn't even a Spectator in the Ballpark much less on the field!

But if you can grab a Abit NF7-S v2 and some TCCD memory you can OC that XP nicely.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Omega65 wrote:
    Save your money for an upgrade to an Athlon 64. A Stock Venice Core 3500+ will defeat any overclocked XP, and it is itself is highly overclockable. If OCing the 3200+ is the better value and if you consider a DualCore CPU (Opteron 165 or 170) the XP 3200+ isn't even a Spectator in the Ballpark much less on the field!

But if you can grab a Abit NF7-S v2 and some TCCD memory you can OC that XP nicely.

Hehehe, That's funny-- I'm typing on an Abit NF7-S v2 ---Athlon XP 2800+ OC'ed to 2274 MHz- with 1 G.- 2x512 OCZ Ultra PC3200. Thnx Omega.
    Yes, I'm going to get into the Opte 170 setup pretty soon.
    It's just that I already have the XP 3200+ and wanted to play at a little OCing. Guess I might look into getting another NF7-S v2.
    Love the one I've got. Haven't had any problems running 24/7, even overclocked.

cpu9cs.jpgmobo1vn.jpgmemory2kj.jpgspd4mv.jpg
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited February 2006
    I enjoyed my NF7-S v2! An Oldie but goodie.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    My NF-7 version 2 (no other letters, like a -S or anything) has had my Barton 2500+ running at 2.2 Ghz for over a year now, never a problem. That's stock 3200+ speeds. 11 X 200.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Tim wrote:
    My NF-7 version 2 (no other letters, like a -S or anything) has had my Barton 2500+ running at 2.2 Ghz for over a year now, never a problem. That's stock 3200+ speeds. 11 X 200.
    Same as the "S" but without Soundstorm audio and SATA/RAID.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    So what's the deal with the NF7-S2G? http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=205
    Not as good as the NF7-S v2? Doesn't overclock well or what?
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Hawk wrote:
    So what's the deal with the NF7-S2G? http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=205
    Not as good as the NF7-S v2? Doesn't overclock well or what?
    NF7-S2 and NF7-S2G = crap and don't OC worth a crap.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Thnx mt, I figured that was probably the case.
    So, I'll make sure I get the Abit NF7-S v2.
    Appreciate all the input friends.
  • edited March 2006
    Another choice for overclocking would be the DFI nf2 boards, from what I've read. Kind of finiky but can get some outstanding fsb overclocks.
  • edited March 2006
    I slapped a screenie of my mobo in CPUz onto a screenie of my CPU speed and a PI run:

NF7-S ownz0r
    xp-m2693nf7.jpg