safe vCore for opty 170?

deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
edited March 2006 in Hardware
Okay, I've managed to get my opty stable at 2.7GHz but to do it I had to add 0.1v to the vCore, so it's now running at 1.5v rather than the stock 1.4... at 2.8GHz with the same voltage I can boot, but it's not stable... so I think with a bit of extra voltage I can get to 2.8. But is it safe? Another worry is that my board seems to overvolt (or measure higher) by 0.04-5v. So although I now have 1.5v set, my measured voltage is flicking between 1.53 and 1.54 volts. If I nudge my 'set' voltage up to 1.55v the 'measured voltage is going to vary up to 1.59...is that something to worry about?

Comments

• edited February 2006
    As long as you keep it cooled down decently, I wouldn't worry with up to 1.6v vcore on a X2 or DC Opti (or any 90nm AMD really). I ran my old winnie 3000+ at 1.6v vcore for over a year with no problems.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited February 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    As long as you keep it cooled down decently, I wouldn't worry with up to 1.6v vcore on a X2 or DC Opti (or any 90nm AMD really). I ran my old winnie 3000+ at 1.6v vcore for over a year with no problems.
    I'll second that.
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited February 2006
    Cheers for the advice guys, I managed to get 2.8 out of my 170 at 1.55 'set' voltage :D
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited February 2006
    Hehe... And to think we used to run our Tbirds at 2.1V for 65% overclocks. :lol:
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited February 2006
    Khaos wrote:
    Hehe... And to think we used to run our Tbirds at 2.1V for 65% overclocks. :lol:

No lie on what now seems tiny heatsinks..
  • edited March 2006
    Khaos wrote:

*cough*
    I do that stuff on a regular basis :P but on a barton of course (although not a 65% overclock, not with my current setup anyway. I got a 45% overclock :D

xpm2700.jpg
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    deicist what cooling are you using?
    I think I wouldn't go any higher for 24/7 usage.