File is Missing or Corrupt. Need Help

edited March 2006 in Hardware
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\system

that is the error message im getting, this is how it happend.

I was on MSN Messenger with a friend using a cam and was trying to fix the mic...well i went to the config of MSN messnger and went to change the mic source from the motherboard sound set to the logitech quick cam fusion so that the mic would work better. as soon as i switched the source...computer rebooted itself.
It made it to the profile chooser thing..i clicked my name (which is the only one) and it started loading...then stopped and stayed there for bout ten min..so i did a reset...well when i did that....i got that error message.
Anyone know of anything i can do, i've gone through some things on microsoft knowledge base source crap and havent really found much. Any place that could help me, someone i could maybe call that might not cost me to much of an arm/leg you know?

Im using:
Gigabyte K7 Triton AGP8X/Dual Channel DDR, Nvidia nForce2 Motherboard
Radeon 9600 Pro
1 gig of ram

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2006
    Pour a cup of coffee and pull up a comfortable chair. It's a lot of reading, but you'll probably find the answer you need. :)
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited March 2006
    crap that thread sorta grew out of hand didnt it? I got tired of reading after the first two pages.

My advice... clean the file system from recovery console and go directly to shortys post!

Tex