dos help

PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
edited March 2006 in Hardware
Situation:

Client brings in a computer and an old hard drive. Says this old hard drive has win98 and dos. I boot from dos to use this custom billing software. My computer that had this is dead, mobo = fried. All I have left is the hard drive. Please make this brand new computer run my old billing software and winxp.

Brand new computer (Compaq)

Im like screw dual booting dos, Ill emulate.

Enter DOSbox, enter problems.

Mounted and configured dosbox, rewrote a few batch files to run xxcopy instead of xcopy.

Got old (ancient) billing software to work.

HERE IS WHAT I NEED

DOT Matrix Printer, and Conaxent Fax Modem to work with his dos emulation that I have set up.

So far I can get an emulated modem firmware that coems with dosbox to make the modem recognizable, but the DOS based fax software (ql2fax) does not work with it even though I tried my damndest.

Also I need to setup an ancient dot matrix printer to work under the dos emulation.

If this can not be done I need to dual boot DOS. In which case I will need to mess with all kinds of drivers that I would rather not.

Please help. Suggestions, guides, anything? :type:

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2006
    I haven't messed around with getting printers to work directly to command prompt from xp in several years. But last times I tried it, it could not be done. The LPT ports are accessible through command prompt in the same way that they are in real dos.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    The problem is I am using a Dos Emulator, not a command screen. Otherwise nothing would work at all. Man, this is a tough one. How can one get DOS to run on a brand new machine without drivers.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    you can't. DOS hasn't been supported for years.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    You will need to dual-boot DOS. And play with older drivers.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    program packaged generic dos drivers + ms virtual machine = win