Correct temperature

edited February 2006 in Hardware
I have a compaq presario, athlon xp3000 (2.17Ghz)
What temperature should the CPU run at, i have updated the bios and think it has slowed the fan down.

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Probably idle low to mid 30's. Under load probably upper. They've been know to reach into the 60's when overclocking.
  • edited February 2006
    mine is running at 60 so think i got a problem, the pc is not even running any programs
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    That is definitely way too high for an idle PC. Especially a non overclocked OEM computer.
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited February 2006
    did u try to take the fan off or anything in any way? and what were temps at before you updated the bios?
  • edited February 2006
    not touched the fan or tried to move it, didnt even look at temp before, just noticed it was running quiter, then looked at temperature in bios.
    Before when turning PC you could hear the fans then the would go quiter then as you work they would speed up
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    are you sure the fans are running? Especially the one on the power supply?

Buy a can of compressed air and spray out all of the dust bunnies ...that should give you a significant drop in temps.
  • edited February 2006
    All three are running (CPU, system case and CPU) but extreemly slow.

Is there any way to speed up? Problem is that Bios is very limited as blocked by Compaq
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited February 2006
    mattandrew wrote:
    All three are running (CPU, system case and CPU) but extreemly slow.

Is there any way to speed up? Problem is that Bios is very limited as blocked by Compaq

Well if you don't really need the updated BIOS I would suggest getting the older version back. I've read in some places how to do it but I can't remember. I think you have to change a jumper near the BIOS somewhere, and turn on the computer for a minute or so and then change the jumper back and that should set it back tp factory defaults and stuff. I'd get more help on how to do this. Or, if you have the time and patience, call Compaq. I have a presario and I've tried calling them, but every time I get a message that tells me what hours I should call back and I am calling within those hours!! So ya... :scratch: