Skype, best P2P "freephone" evar?

TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
edited May 2005 in Science & Tech
I have used this proggy for a week and a half now and i must say dang! The quality of the sound, both send and recieve is awesome. I spoke with Black Hawk the other day who lives in no mans land. (Far, far away anyway) and normally with ip phoning, such as Netmeeting, the sound is worse than crap. It sounded like he where next door to be honest. The phonecompanys will go berzerk when they find out that peeps are giving up landlines for free telephone.

www.skype.com

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I concur :thumbsup:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Yeah, but if it's from the KaZaa folks, there's spyware bundled in. What kind of spyware crap comes with it?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    None, according to them.
    Skeptical, me.
    Nothing, says Spybot.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Well I just read their EULA and a few things jump out:

1) We may make any modifications or additions to the Skype software without notifying you

(ding! Alarms!)

2) The service is NOT FREE, despite the big "IT'S FREE" on their download page - it says in the EULA that there is a trial period, after which follows a notification that users must pay a subscription fee to continue using "certain features"

3) "utilize the processor and bandwidth of your computer for the limited purpose of facilitating the communication between other Skype Software users" - the word "Facilitating" is the one that is sketchy to me. They could turn around and make that mean anything.

--primeskeptic
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    primesuspect said
    Well I just read their EULA and a few things jump out:

1) We may make any modifications or additions to the Skype software without notifying you

(ding! Alarms!)

2) The service is NOT FREE, despite the big "IT'S FREE" on their download page - it says in the EULA that there is a trial period, after which follows a notification that users must pay a subscription fee to continue using "certain features"

3) "utilize the processor and bandwidth of your computer for the limited purpose of facilitating the communication between other Skype Software users" - the word "Facilitating" is the one that is sketchy to me. They could turn around and make that mean anything.

--primeskeptic

It´s still at a Beta stage, and it will be for a pretty long time i think, making it free.

I can easily give up some cpupower if i can phone for free all over the world. Adaware didnt come up with anything so i think it´s safe, at least for now. Let me know if you want to have a chat. I use mackanz as always.
  • GarethGareth Wales
    edited May 2005
    Are you still using skype ?
    Can you confirm that it is still free of spyware ?
    I have just been watching a programme about VOIP which featured skype, but as the founder of the company also introduced kaza to the internet I have concerns about spyware.

Gareth
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    IIRC it doesn't have any. Alot of people use it and I have yet to see a problem reported.
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited May 2005
    But dontchya just love those skype movies? They're hilarious.
  • Cygnus_x_1Cygnus_x_1 New Jersey
    edited May 2005
    skype user...its pretty cool, good sound quality. no spyware that i can see (which means ad aware and spybot dont find any...) the conf call is a sweet feature too..very useful and fun as hell...
  • GarethGareth Wales
    edited May 2005
    Thanks for the replies, I think I'll give it a go.