dvd camcorder image quality

kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
edited February 2006 in Internet & Media
I just bought a Canon Dc-10 DVD camcorder. I thought that the video quality would be almost as good as a DVD that I can buy at the store. However, it looks like crap. It looks worse than a tape! I've messed with all the settings and I've even read the manual, all to no avail. I've set the camera to the highest quality and it sucks. I recorded video in all three modes available, and it always looks the same. I think maybe the camera is broken, not sure. Does anyone here have any experience with this camcorder or any other DVD camcorders? Am I being unrealistic about the video quality on this thing? Is it supposed to look worse than a regular vhs-c camcorder?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    It's hard to say without seeing it myself. If I saw a sample, I could tell you if the camera is bad. Light has a huge effect on video as well - even moreso than a still camera (aperture, etc.) - you get the best quality from consumer digital video camers if you are shooting in really good light.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Cannons are renown for needing ample light. What does the video look like? Compressed like a JPEG gone wrong? Too dark? Noisy?

I doubt you would buy a consumer grade camera that does as well as a DVD. DVD's are just a type of media, the actual movie is usually done with good quality FILM, or a damned good and EXTRAORDINARILY EXPENCIVE Digital Camera. I'm talking either $50,000+ You can spend $1,000,000 on the film alone ;)

But the quality should still be decent for a DVD Camcorder. I'll look yours up.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    OK Your camcorder is only like 1.2 or so Megapixel's. Compairing that to my Sony Handycam HC30 which has 6.8MP, I'd imagine there is nothing wrong with that camcorder, that's just how it is.
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    yea the camera is fine............ i have a sony handycam dvd recorder and its real nice. but if yours is really only 1.2 megapixles as RWB said then if it bothers you that much then i would suggest a different one. my phone camera/ video cam is 1.3 megapixel and thats on a little cell phone. if you want a clear one you should get something alot higher