Help: access is denied

edited March 2006 in Hardware
Hi,

I've searched and read post for a couple of days and tried as many suggestions as possible. I got the blue screen… unmountable_boot_volume

Wouldn’t reboot in safe mode. Or from cd… so I took HD out and put in another comp. I can see all the files. On drive viewable and some files and programs are accessible as drive G: but I did not have files or emails backed-up. I can access everything accept G:\documentsandsettings\(myfilename)
I had a password all otherusers did not.
All my word docs and emails and password backups are in this file.
I downloaded and unzipped takeown but when I try to use it doesn’t work.
I have tried to repair HD w/skndsk and recovery I tried to boot new comp with this HD and get the same blue scrn… I just need to access the old files and email... Help Please…

Comments

• ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited February 2006
    heres the way permissions work, becuase the files on the broken hdd were created by a user whom is NOT on the current machine you dont have access to them. the easiest way and petty much fool-proof way is to litterally take ownership of everything on the drive.

to do this, make sure that the user on the new machine is a local administrator, after that, open my computer and choose tools->folder options->view

at the very bottom of that list is a box that says "use simple file sharing" uncheck that box and OK out of the dialog box, you should then be able to right click the entire old hard drive ( G: i belive ) and you should see a "Sharing and Security" option. click that, and choose the Security Tab. at the bottom of that window, select Advanced, click on the owners tab, in that list under the owner tab shows the accounts on the local machine that have administrative rights to take ownership. choose the accound that you are logged on as ( an administrator ) then check the box under the list of names that says "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects"

when you click OK it could take quite a bit of time to re-write all the permissions on EVERY FILE on the drive. after that, what ever administrator account you used to take ownser ship can do ANYTHING to ANYTHING on that drive, rename, delete, access, run, write, EVERYTHING.

after that be sure to re-check the simple file sharing option in tools->folder options->view

anymore problems let us know
  • edited February 2006
    I tried this before but... under My Computer:

tools->folder options->view

there is no box that says: "use simple file sharing"
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2006
    Under "Advanced Options" it's the last one on the list.
  • edited February 2006
    have advanced settings: no Advanced Options
    under
    tools->folder options->view

last box is: Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2006
    mmoore10 wrote:
    have advanced settings: no Advanced Options...
    That's what I meant. ;)
    last box is: Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items
    What Operating System are you running?
    edited February 2006
    you might not also not be looged in as an administrator, im not sure if that changes it.
  • edited February 2006
    xp yes admin acct

but no box for simple file sharing...
    edited February 2006
    is it XP Home edition?
  • edited February 2006
    yes sorry.. xp home add w/sp2 :)
  • edited February 2006
    Armo wrote:
    you might not also not be looged in as an administrator, im not sure if that changes it.

missed the attch... I don't have the last box or the fourth tab: offline files:aol:
    edited February 2006
    thats becuase its XP home edition, the netorking functions is the main diffrence between XP pro and XP home

this makes it more interesting, i dont really have much experiance with XP home, but we can come up with somthing
    edited February 2006
    BINGO!

Note You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has administrative credentials. If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

if you dont kow how to restart in safe mode:

restart XP, and before it starts actually loading XP keep hitting F8, and you will see a boot option menu, you want Safe Mode with networking.
  • edited March 2006
    Thank You!!! Armo

worked great!!! solved my problem..

thanks again...