Possible ShortMedia Members Only download section

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited March 2006 in Community
I use gamershell.com for patches/updates. Cheesy, ugly, and full of adverts, but at least I can click on a thing and actually download it....

Perhaps this is a call for a short-media members-only download site.... :eek3:

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Perhaps this is a call for a short-media members-only download site.... :eek3:

All hail Prime, bringer of the hassel-free download!

I'll expect that site up in 24 hours. Come on, not like you have anything else to do. Chop-chop ;)
  • edited February 2006
    Because you're already signed up..... :wtf:

So you need to be signed up to the forums to download?

freaking smartass
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Hey prime, if you get that download site up, im figureing your non-active member rates would go throught the roof.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited February 2006
    Hey prime, if you get that download site up, im figureing your non-active member rates would go throught the roof.
    Make it where if non-members DL from the site, they get spammed with Leeeroy Jenkins popups on their computers for a few weeks.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    My gaming clan makes it so that only members can download.

Sure, that means that you have to sign up before downloading here... but we've already signed up, so no problem there :)

And if we surround our download section with folding propaganda, we might get some recruits.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Make it so only members with 100+ posts can download. :)
  • edited March 2006
    ^ Thats a good idea. Or at least 10 posts.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Maybe we should form a committe. Members of the forum can apply for download rights, and the committe can vote to bestow or deny download rights based upon whether or not that member is a contributing member of the site and, perhaps, the folding team. ;)

100 posts? Nah! 100 WU! :fold:
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    100 WU's and 100 post!!!!

~~ F :fold: L D ~~
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited March 2006
    LMAO!! these are all really great ideas guys.

but i dont think prime was serious about this. lol, i think he was just joking around. Besides, if we DO get something like this, its gonna take more work from the community i.e.: we are gonna need people to find all of the patches and all of the demos and etc. then all of that will need to be uploaded onto a server etc. THEN another part of SM will need to be coded just for this.

so... its a lot of work guys, as you can see.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    No, i'm serious. I promise.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited March 2006
    QCH2002 wrote:
    100 WU's and 100 post!!!!

~~ F :fold: L D ~~
    Great idea.
  • edited March 2006
    Ok, so they have to be non-pub posts (which aren't counted twords overall post count anyways fyi).
    edited March 2006
    Actually pub posts are counted, now. We changed it a while back.
    edited March 2006
    okay if this is a serious deal, i have some serious ideas.

You can offer free downloads to people who have completed the 100wu mark! like someone suggested, thats awsome idea!

OR

you could let people download for free if they have been a member for 1 and a half years or more.

OR

you could let people download for free if they have 250 posts or more in the non-pub areas

OR

you could charge money for people who dont want to do any of the top three. or you could combine all of the top three

also, the layout has to be very easy to use, i.e. choose the letter from a to z that the game starts with, then click on the game, then there has to be sub categories for the games like "official patches", "no-cd patches", "trailers", "demos", "mods", etc.

then while your at the patches deal, you could probably add a hardware drivers section for people who want to find their hardware dirvers quickly and easily, and it could be set up in a similar fasion.

damn, i should be a web-designer. but i dont know jack squat outside of dreamweaver haha.
    edited March 2006
    I'd also like to offer linux distros and any other large files that are normally a pain in the ass to get.
    edited March 2006
    I'd also like to offer linux distros and any other large files that are normally a pain in the ass to get.

that would be sweet!! and linux guys would love you!!
  • ShortyShorty
    checks wallet...

Yep.. Im all for this, lets make em pay. What do you think prime... $100 a year fee...? It's cheap at half the price (and certainly would be) :D

Ok.. back to seriousn...
    Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    checks wallet...

Yep.. Im all for this, lets make em pay. What do you think prime... $100 a year fee...? It's cheap at half the price (and certainly would be) :D

Ok.. back to seriousness now :)

prime is absolutely serious. We have discussed the logistics of this and think it's well worth doing. We already pride ourselves on having an excellent selection of downloads (thanks Spinner!) but it's certainly cool to think about even more :)
    edited March 2006
    yeah it would be awsome, and i'd like to help you guys get content in any way possible

but the only thing i am afraid of, is that it may attract a bunch people who arent part of this community. I.E. people will come and join just for these special features.

also, i just thought of an idea. There should be some type of user upload feature, so we can upload patches and mods of our favorite games, it would be so awsome!! of course, there should be some sort of anti-virus scanning for this feature, but it would awsome none-the less
  • edited March 2006
    Jengo wrote:
    yeah it would be awsome, and i'd like to help you guys get content in any way possible

but the only thing i am afraid of, is that it may attract a bunch people who arent part of this community. I.E. people will come and join just for these special features.

also, i just thought of an idea. There should be some type of user upload feature, so we can upload patches and mods of our favorite games, it would be so awsome!! of course, there should be some sort of anti-virus scanning for this feature, but it would awsome none-the less

The only way I would see this working is to have someone PM either Shorty or prime about the patch that you would want to put on it and if they give the OK, they would give you a 1 time upload to add the patch for them to look at before formally adding it to the downloads.
  • McBainMcBain
    bitches about missing spam posts

Kidding.
    San Clemente, CA New
    edited March 2006
    bitches about missing spam posts

Kidding.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    I'm 100% in favor of this idea, but I feel like there needs to be some way for even members in good standing to compensate for the bandwidth cost - I'm sure we don't like ads for the most part, but there has to be some way... :scratch:
    edited March 2006
    GHoosdum wrote:
    I'm 100% in favor of this idea, but I feel like there needs to be some way for even members in good standing to compensate for the bandwidth cost - I'm sure we don't like ads for the most part, but there has to be some way... :scratch:

i agree with ghoosdum, we know bandwidth costs money prime!!
    edited March 2006
    Yeah it does :-/

We'll figure something out. I need to have a conversation with Dan more in-depth than "do you think we should?" "Yeah!" "Okay!"

We'll release details as they become available :ninja:
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited March 2006
    Jengo wrote:
    OR

you could let people download for free if they have 250 posts or more in the non-pub areas
    if that were the only criteria i'd be seriously scr3wed. :o

LIN
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    I think this would be awesome, as well as a area for distros, and maybe what they are all suited for, and i am thinkign about doing an article over linux and the different distros, although, i dont know that much about linux compared to a lot of people, maybe it could be a joint article?? but i think its something that needs to be done, so that the mis conceptions of linux stop :offtopic:

awesome, it all sounds awesome, the only thing i wonder about is bandwidth on downloading the distros, and also file space for the distros, because some distros and 1-3 dvds. i think its fedora that has like 7 cd's (before i got my dvd burner)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2006
    LIN wrote:
    if that were the only criteria i'd be seriously scr3wed. :o

LIN
    You're only 39 posts from 250 right now. A few dozen more birthdays and you'd have it made. :vimp:
  • edited March 2006
    I think I've got the minimum number of posts licked :)
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited March 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    You're only 39 posts from 250 right now. A few dozen more birthdays and you'd have it made. :vimp:
    Lol, bless ya, prof ;) - though i'm pretty sure my registration date would be a shoo-in :smiles:

LIN
    edited March 2006
    Everybody who's worried about minimum posts - don't worry. You'll notice that the two people who actually make that decision haven't posted anything about it ;)

Everything here is just wild speculation. But I like the ideas, keep 'em coming :D