Getting Vista?

13»

Comments

• edited April 2006
    I'll get it because I need to learn how to use it before people start asking me to "fix it" for them.

Didn't we already have a thread on this same subject a month or two ago?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2006
    TheSmJ wrote:
    I'll get it because I need to learn how to use it before people start asking me to "fix it" for them.
    Same here. Whether it immediately goes onto my main machine is another matter. (It probably will.)
    Didn't we already have a thread on this same subject a month or two ago?
    Yep. I merged them so we could all participate in the polling fun. (For those who haven't voted already.) :)
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Looks like I am waiting now... I have no need for it any longer as I am selling off my 64bit system and sticking with my laptop :) My next laptop in a year or so will be 64 bit though, so I'll probably buy it then :P
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited April 2006
    I'll think it's good to have some other systems to use if Vista becomes too demading.

I'll mean we haven't yet seen the last of it, have we ?

The only way to get Microsoft doing the right thing, is to have something different to use like ... linux.
    Without it, we will be totally owned by Microsoft.

Whether you like or not but world domination has never been good.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    drasnor wrote:
    trmiddle26.jpg

-drasnor :fold:

Trusted computing is bad, but an Internet run by corporations is even scarier. Our congressmen are too uniformed or glutted with campaign contributions to give it a second thought, too.

http://www.savetheinternet.com/=map

I can only imagine how flamingly dissatisfied I'd be with the Internet if I had to rely on Comcast for content, considering the mediocre service I already get from them.
    edited April 2006
    The companies who will decide to switch from Windows XP to Vista, despite the financial efforts involved in this move, will have nevertheless some important benefits.

One of them is the hard disk encryption technology, known as Bitlocker.

Companies Running Vista Will Be Able to Safely Throw HDDs Away

Edit, April 29
    BitLocker gives dual-boot systems the elbow
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited April 2006
    I'll be building a cheap cheap box for this at the house just to learn it. My boss and I have also agreed to build a test box at the office for it also. I may even take a class on it for A+ purposes.
  • edited April 2006
    I have been using the free trial version of Win64. I kind of feel the need to actally purchase Vista.
    edited April 2006
    i0esign wrote:
    I have been using the free trial version of Win64. I kind of feel the need to actally purchase Vista.
    Welcome to Short-Media, i0esign. :)

What has your experience with 64-Bit Windows been like? If you'd like to comment, I would like to know to what you think. I've had an Athlon64 rig for well over a year now and am still on the fence. I'll keep an eye on this thread if you care to offer your thoughts. As far as that goes, I'd like to hear people's opinion regarding 64-Bit Vista, too. :cheers:
  • edited April 2006
    profdlp wrote:

What has your experience with 64-Bit Windows been like? If you'd like to comment, I would like to know to what you think. I've had an Athlon64 rig for well over a year now and am still on the fence. I'll keep an eye on this thread if you care to offer your thoughts. As far as that goes, I'd like to hear people's opinion regarding 64-Bit Vista, too. :cheers:
    Its Free!:celebrate (for 6mos at a time)

i have been pretty happy, did I mention "its free"

Its taught me about drivers, HP=NO DRIVERS Lexmark=Plenty of drivers.(same co. i thought)

just about every co. has the 64 bit drivers (except HP, Sapphire Mobos,some wireless networking)

It works nicely for me, basically its Win XP Pro. I could never have afforded XP Pro or the 64bit so I am happy to have the chance to use it "legally"

My lastcomp was very fast 3700+ over2900mhz, 4 sata2 hdds in Raid0(awsome ATTO score) and win64 made it so nice to use.

I played all the latest games (lol, Demos) no prob. I think it just puts 32bit stuff into a 32bit file and seems to run it just fine.

Im sorry i dont know enough to give you a technical answer but did I mention its "FREE" lol:thumbsup:
    edited April 2006
    i0esign wrote:
    ...Im sorry i dont know enough to give you a technical answer but did I mention its "FREE" lol:thumbsup:
    Your answer was very good - thanks! :D
    edited May 2006
    SEATTLE, Washington (Reuters) -- Microsoft Corp.'s long- awaited release of the upgrade to its flagship Windows operating system
    will likely be delayed again by at least three months, research group Gartner Inc. said Tuesday.

Microsoft may delay Vista again
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    profdlp wrote:

I think the main issue with XP x64 at the moment is the lack of any 64bit software to run on it. I run a 64bit Linux distro, but the advantage being all but 2 programs (Wine and Cedega) are actually 64bit due to being compiled from source for this machine. The only application that I remember saying it was 64bit was FarCry, and that isn't really 64bit anyway, it's just a patch to up the level of graphics.
    edited May 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    I think the main issue with XP x64 at the moment is the lack of any 64bit software to run on it...
    That sums up my feelings exactly, and is the reason I never bothered to pursue WinXP-64 with any enthusiasm. I am hoping that Vista-64 changes that.
    edited May 2006
    Windows Vista Capable and Premium Ready PCs
    Choose a Windows Vista Capable or Premium Ready PC for the Windows Vista edition that's right for you.

Are you looking to buy a Windows XP-based computer today but want to make sure that it can run Windows Vista?

There's no need to wait. When you buy a new PC that carries the Windows Vista Capable or Premium Ready PC designation,
    you’ll be able to upgrade to one of the editions of Windows Vista while taking advantage of all the opportunities offered by Windows XP today.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/capable.mspx

Oh I feel lucky having my AMD, but is it specified for Windows Aero ? :bigggrin:
    edited May 2006
    Source - Inside Windows Vista Beta 2

Inside Windows Vista Beta 2

There will be five basic Vista editions:
    • Home Basic
    • Home Premium for consumers,
    • Business
    • Enterprise for businesses
    • Ultimate edition, which will include the complete set of available features.

Microsoft is now enumerating the specific features that will be available in each one.

The Home Basic and Home Premium editions
    won't support dual processors, ShadowCopy file versioning, image-based backup and recovery,
    and various systems-management, networking, and security tools that are mostly of interest to enterprise users.

The Home Basic edition can't run the full Aero interface and also lacks the Tablet PC, Media Center, Movie Maker,
    and DVD Maker capabilities available in the Home Premium edition

Corporate editions
    omit consumer-oriented features such as Windows Media Center and parental controls.
    Compared with the Enterprise edition, the Business edition will exclude capabilities such as BitLocker hard-drive encryption,
    support for all available user interface languages, and Virtual PC Express,
    which will run a single instance of Windows XP inside a virtual PC to assist with compatibility for legacy applications.

Microsoft has also released its minimum hardware requirements and recommendations for Vista.

Vista needs at least an 800-MHz processor, 512MB RAM, DirectX 9-capable SVGA hardware (with 32MB video memory),
    and 15GB of hard-drive space.

For editions other than Home Basic, Microsoft recommends a 1-GHz or faster processor, 1GB of RAM, and beefier video hardware—
    a DirectX 9-capable graphics chip that supports 32-bit-per-pixel color, implements Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware, and has a WDDM (Windows Display Driver Model) driver and at least 128MB of memory.

Can at least my dual core Opteron run two Basic vista at the same time, or will it be to complexed ? ;)
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    That's awefully strange that neither Home version will support dual processors, since Intel has helped bring dual-core into the mainstream.
    edited June 2006
    ATI have just released documentation regarding the new driver model for graphics vendors
    which will come into effect with the release of Windows Vista, known as WDDM.

Naturally, this PDF document takes an ATI-centric look at this new model, but regardless offers
    some interesting information and insight for anyone interested in one of the bigger changes
    to be made within Microsoft's forthcoming Operating System.