Overclocking Opteron 165 & A8n-sli DLX

edited March 2006 in Hardware
Help please!!! I am trying to overclock using your guide but have run into a problem. When I go into BIOS and try to manually set the CPU speed it sets my memory back to auto, and when I set the memory to manual it then sets my CPU to auto. I cant seem to set both and when I set my memory to DDR500 (or anything higher than 400) it doesnt take.

Here is my system
Asus A8n-sli Deluxe was running bios 1015 moved to 1016
2 Gig DDR500 Gskill Extreme overclocking mem
Opteron 165
Aspire Xnavigator Case with 500 Watt Power supply

I just want to get my opti running at 2.2-2.3 ghz

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    Help please!!! I am trying to overclock using your guide but have run into a problem. When I go into BIOS and try to manually set the CPU speed it sets my memory back to auto, and when I set the memory to manual it then sets my CPU to auto. I cant seem to set both and when I set my memory to DDR500 (or anything higher than 400) it doesnt take.

Here is my system
    Asus A8n-sli Deluxe was running bios 1015 moved to 1016
    2 Gig DDR500 Gskill Extreme overclocking mem
    Opteron 165
    Aspire Xnavigator Case with 500 Watt Power supply

I just want to get my opti running at 2.2-2.3 ghz

Hi Right Winger,

When you say it sets your memory back to 'Auto' do you mean only the frequency/divider? I.e. DDR333/DDR400 etc? or are all of your timings etc reverting back to Auto? I would not worry about the DDR500 setting in the BIOS, as you wont need that when overclocking. I would simply leave it at DDR400 as a maximum. When you increase your reference clock (sometimes called the base HTT) you'll also increase your memory frequency above 200MHz/400MHz DDR. For example, if you leave your divider set to 400MHz (1/1) you'll still get to DDR500 with a 250MHz reference clock speed.

When you are following the 'Find max CPU' section of the guide, you'll want to decrease your memory speed far below DDR500. I'd actually set it to the 2/3 divider (which is 266MHz), and begin to increase the reference clock. Once you find your CPU's maximum clock speed, you can start trying to take your memory back up to DDR500 later on in the 'Find max memory' section of the guide.

I'm not sure why your BIOS is behaving in that way, switching things back to auto. I don't have experience with that specific board, so I'm hoping someone else with an Asus might be able to chime in and provide some feedback :)