TH7II Questions

gtghmgtghm New
edited January 2006 in Hardware
Ok I know that its an intel... :rolleyes:

But, I have this board and this is what I want to know if I can do or if any one has tried it?

I want to put 4 sticks of 128meg PC1066 RDRAM and a 2.4 533 w/ 512K into this board.

Will it work? If the 2.4 533 is too much then I'll go with the supported 2.4 400...

My thoughts on this are:
That since this is a very OCing friendly MOB and the PCI/FSB can be set independantly from each other then I should be able to OC the board easily. I should be able to up the FSB to get the 533 and the dims should be able to handle close to or all of the bandwidth of the 1066 RDRAM... all with out worry of killing the CPU or the memory cause it would technically not be overclocked...

I do realize that I would be limited by the on board clock generator for the 850 chipset but if I cool it adaquately I should be able to get quite a bit out of it shouln't I...?

Have I missed something?

"g"

Comments

• gtghmgtghm New
    edited October 2003
    If I chose to get 1066 ECC would that cut down on my OC?
    I ask cause my thought process is that if it would at PC800 being OCed then because the ram is already rated higher then ECC shouldn't be an issue for the OC and I can gain that little extra bit of stability by going with the ECC...

Thoughts?
    "g"
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    ECC protects from cascading soft-errors that statistically occur over months of time, where uptime is measured in months, not weeks or days. It's pretty much useless to you, and not worth the extra cash.

As for the board, you shouldn't have any problems sticking it at 133 provided you've the memory and adequate cooling.
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited October 2003
    The ABit TH7II is a great O/C'er, even though it only "officially" supports the 400 MHz NorthWood CPU's.

You won't have any troubles putting in a 533 MHz FSB P4 2.4B, but you should pair it up with PC1066 memory for sure, as PC800 RDRAM usually will not run at the required 133 MHz FSB. RDRAM is quite... bitchy... when it comes to timing, as the architecture is designed not to run out of spec.

ECC won't harm your O/C up to the 133 Mhz FSB level, but it may shave a few MHz off the max FSB you can get.

As long as you install matched pairs of RDRAM (size, brand & speed rating) in banks A1 & A2 and B1 & B2, you'll be fine.

Razor, over @ tech-pc.co.uk has actually done what you plan on doing, and with Vapochil cooling, managed to get the P4 2.4B to run @ 171 FSB on the TH7II. :) You could try checking in with him for any "quirks" he might have encountered along the way.

razor@tech-pc.co.uk :: http://www.tech-pc.co.uk/R9700Pro-1.php

//Edit: You'll want to make sure to actively cool the i850 MCH, as on my older P4 system that actually supported the 533 FSB P4's that has the i850E MCH, it ran incredibly hot at stock speeds, let alone during overclocking.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    ABIT INSISTED it would solve its financial problems one way or another. Well it just did. It announced that it finally merged with Universal Scientific Industrial Co. (USI), a big OEM that makes a lot of notebooks, desktops and servers for IBM, or, should we now say, Lenovo.

Submitted by: ?

Source: The Inquirer