deadlines for folding

tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
edited March 2006 in Folding@Home
What exactly are deadlines for folding? How long are the deadlines, and what happens if you dont meet them? Whats the difference between that and standard wu, do you get more points for one that has deadlines?

sorry for the questions, im just wondering.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2006
    Stanford releases certain projects with a deadline as they want to get the raw data by a certain point. This is so they can proceed with their analysis of the project without having stray WU's trickle in months and months after they are assigned. The deadlineless WU's are for projects where they are building a huge collection of data to reinforce certain trends they have already spotted.

AMD rigs usually do much better with the deadlineless WU's. Intel-based computers - when Folding is configured properly - usually do better on the "regular" WU's.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited March 2006
    ok thanks prof.

i just set mine to deadlines....maybe ill rack up some more points :)

as you can tell im a fan of AMD:rockon:
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited March 2006
    wow, you were right, my cpu definately folds better now that its on deadlines. I've noticed a big improvements in the number of WU's i've been putting out. thanks
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2006
    Glad to be of help. :)
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited March 2006
    i just set mine to deadlines

Noob question : how can i do that ? I see no option to put my WU in another mode or something like that... I found my WU to process kinda slowly, when i use EMIII sometimes it shows an 'error' flag with 'time per frame error' label on it. Maybe it's because i play games while folding so the folding lack of power to process. But even if i close games it seems to shows this warning sometimes. Is it normal ? In ~ 2 days of folding i got to 88% of my first WU. Sometimes it can takes a very long time to change of %, sometimes its growing faster lol
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    GooD--

Some WUs CAN take days to complete, depending on how complex they are.

Second, the deadlineless option is under advanced options. When you first run the console with -configonly as a parameter and set the UID and team number and then it asks if you want to edit the advanced options, tell it yes, then IF you have an AMD you can type in deadlineless when it gets to that question.

HTH
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited March 2006
    Thankx Straight_Man !

I'll try to activate the 'deadlines' tonite :)

It's amasing how much work those WU can takes to process, a complete night with my computer only folding and i barely got an increase of 17% on the WU :eek2:

The good thing is that sooner or later WU will get to 100% ;)