Need Help!!!! CPU or bad mobo

edited March 2006 in Hardware
Hi guys, I am kind of new at troubleshooting so I will explain as thoroughly as possible.

Couple of days ago, I bought a pair of Corsair Xms series Ram but in the process of installation, I fried my mobo. Two weeks later I got a refurbished Abit NF-7s v2 mobo and i Installed the SAME CPU ( AMd 2500+ OC to 3200+)
but my mobo reads it as Athlon XP 1100 (110x11). It goes to the bootscreen but automatically shuts itself off while emanating a ringing noise from the speaker. Once it managed to start ( ie I saw all the startup icons) but shut itself off again.

I have come to the conclusion there could be two possibilities

1) Abit sent me a BAd mobo

2) I fried my CPU as well while I fried my mobo

THis first is less likely but if the 2nd is true why am i able to bootup and see the XP screen. Also sometimes in the boot instruction I get CPU has been changed or not working but when i press F1 to continue it boots to the XP screen then shuts itself off. I have ordered a new cpu so hopefully I will get to the bottom of this. If this wont work of seeing my above problems what do u guys recommend? Thanks. Looking forward to a reply and advice.

Comments

• edited March 2006
    dependin on what colling system you had on the proc. you may have overheated the cpu and done damage to that.

bikerboy
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2006
    It sounds like your FSB setting is whacko.

The first rule of overclocking is to make sure the system runs properly at stock speed, then work your way up from there. Put everything back to default, check your FSB (it should be 166) and set the multiplier to Auto (or 11, if that doesn't work). Stock speed for a 2500+ is 1833MHz.

See if you can get things going from there. :)
  • sjlewerersjlewerer Lost Minnesotan in Wi.
    edited March 2006
    The profdlp is absolutely correct. It may take a while of playing with it but set everything to default or safe boot in your BIOS and boot it. Try adjusting your voltage for CPU and Chipset upward in small steps with a reboot between the trys. I have experienced the exact problem on my system as the Crucial Ballistixs PC4000 I bought is extremely incompatible with my FX-55. [When AMD makes a recomendation on RAM timing believe them...lol] If your getting to the Windows screen I'm sure your MB is all right. When you finally figure it out you'll probably find that the settings that were getting you to the Windows screen and then rebooting were very close to what it ends up being;except for a small adjustment or setting change. Take your time,be methodical,and you'll figure it out as well as learning about different Boot configurations. Good Luck.......cd\[BAD_CO.]