Question about folding - maybe i'll join !

GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
edited March 2006 in Folding@Home
Hello there :) Now that i have resolved (it seems) my problems with my internet (it was my computer in fact heh) im thinking about joining SM folding team with my first and only computer. :thumbsup:

I just have a little question before i do so. I have a bandwidth limit of 8 gig of download per month. No upload limit. Does folding will take most of my 8 gig download limit away if i fold during the night for exemple ? If yes then i'll only fold a little and watch my limit as i don't want to pay extra bills for every gig that is > 8 ;)

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Well, I don't know, but I can estimate.
    I have machines on dial up, so let's figure this out.
    You have a fast machine, let's assume that you will turn out 500 points/day. Guess that that will be 2 work units.
    The problem is that wu dl size ranges from 20k to 3M. But even if they were all large work units you would be under 0.2G for total dl per month

Hey guys, is my math right?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2006
    The only time that Folding uses any bandwidth is when it's receiving a new Work Unit or turning in a completed one. Most Work Unit are only a couple megabytes in size. Since it usually takes a couple days to finish each WU you can expect maybe 10MB per week per computer in bandwidth usage. :):fold:

EDIT: Typed too slow - edcentric beat me to it. :D
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    I'm thinking that you will max out around 186MB of downloaded data for one folding PC, as ed calculated. I think you'd be well within your limits, GooD.
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited March 2006
    Niceee :) I was saying to myself that if it's < 1 gig per month i can deal with it, 0.2 gig wont hurt my limit im sure about that :thumbup

Thankx for the quick reply, you can count me in :D I'll join the team tonite :csimon::fold:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Welcome to the team, GooD! :fold:
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited March 2006
    Looking forward to seeing your first milestone mate :thumbsup:
    Welcome to team 93. :wave:
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    ALRIGHT a new Folder!!! Thanks GooD!!!!
    :smokin:
  • edited March 2006