Multiple problems on new PC.

edited March 2006 in Hardware
I just finished building my first PC. I thought everything was going smooth....I was wrong.

First, I was attempting to install all the extra drivers from the CD the came with my mobo. During installation I got a message from InstallShield saying:
1607: Unable to install installShield Scripting Runtime. Any help on this.

Second I read on Microsoft.com's KB help section that its a problem with the Windows install. Well that's probably true. During installation of XP MCE I was prompted to insert Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD. Windows was looking for the i386 folder. I bought an OEM version of MCE and did not get a Service Pack 2 CD.

Finally, I thought I would just get online and go to windows update and hope that would be a fix. Well I can't get online from the new PC because I can't install anything.

Anybody wanna tackle these problems?

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2006
    What brand and model # is the motherboard? Is the Network stuff onboard?
  • edited March 2006
    its an Asus a8n-sli premium. The network stuff is on board.
    Oh yeah, the problem with windows I think is fixed. I just have to keep switching between disk one and disk two. Makes no sense to me, but its working so far.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2006
    Sounds like you're on the way. I'll keep an eye on this thread in case you run into more trouble. :)
  • edited March 2006
    You can now ignore this thread. The problems was with the Windows XP MCE install. On the first install since I didn't believe I had that Service Pack 2 CD I just hit cancel. This stopped some files from transferring. I don't know what made try to put disk one pack in and try but it worked. A short time later though I got the same message to put the SP2 disk in again. I just disk #2 two in and it worked. I had to go back and forth 4 times. Since Windows was now fully installed my installer worked.
    I guess you could say I was a little quick to ask for help but who woulda thunk that I had to keep switching CD's back and forth. Well now this is a thread here for it because I know I won't be the last person to have this happen to them.
  • edited March 2006
    Hey, glad to hear that you figured out the problem. I guess Windows MCE just grew too big for 1 CD to hold all the updates needed and they had to put it on 2 disks. :rolleyes: