new sound card

ronboronbo Connecticut
edited March 2006 in Hardware
Want to do this the right way so thats why I.m asking. I have a MSI K8N Neo2 platunum motherboard with onboard sound. I just bought a Sound Blaster X-Fi card to install this weekend. Do I go into bios and disable on board sound first before I install card? Then turn computer on and install the drivers?......thanks

Comments

• edited March 2006
    First, I would uninstall all drivers and utilities for the onboard sound, then go into bios and disable the onboard sound. Then and only then would I install the new sound card and install the drivers.
  • edited March 2006
    Really doesn't matter. You can have more than one soundcard and neither of them will effect the other.
  • edited March 2006
    I don't know about that, TheSmJ. After all, we are talking about a Creative sound card, whose drivers are legend in causing problems in the past. ;)
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited March 2006
    thank for the help guys...muddocktor, I have to agree with you on the infamous creative drivers...but I hear this card performs quite well...I heard it at my nephews house paired with a set of Klipsch speakers and I was really blown away. I heard sounds in games that i have never heard before with my onboard sound..when I get enough money I will get a set of Klipsch speakers too...
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited March 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    I don't know about that, TheSmJ. After all, we are talking about a Creative sound card, whose drivers are legend in causing problems in the past. ;)

we are talkin about the xfi card however. It is hardware wise very different from anything creative has done before. They have also completely re-tooled their drivers. From what I hear they are pretty solid now. Hell creative now offers a driver only install with all their active sound card products. No more installing several bloatware apps.

Im willing to overlook their past and give them a second chance.