RAM...1 or 2 DIMMS.

edited March 2006 in Hardware
I think I made a mistake during ordering of parts for my first build. I ordered 1 DIMM of 1GB ram. When I got my puter up and running it only showed 512k. I read that it's better to use 2 DIMMS of 512 if shooting for 1GB. Is my RAM maybe not compatable with my mobo or what maybe causing me to only get half the RAM? Am I gonna have to order another DIMM of 1 Gb? I was planning on getting more RAM anyway just not for a few weeks.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2006
    What motherboard do you have? Some boards don't get along with double-density RAM. That sounds like what you've got here.
  • edited March 2006
    ^^^^ What he said.

Please post up some specs of your system. If it is a system that only reguires single channel operation like a socket 754 A64 system, then 1 stick of ram is fine (as long as the mobo can properly identify and use it). It also might be something as simple as a bios flash to the latest revision for the ram to be recognized properly. But we need to know what components you have in your machine. :)
  • edited March 2006
    I have an Asus A8N-Sli Premium
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
    1 GB elixir 128x64 184Pin DDR SDRAM PC3200
    EVGA e0-GeForce 6800 GS Video Card
    WD Caviar SE16 250GB H.D.

I just read the manufacturers link on the RAM I'm using. It stated to make sure it will work with you motherboard before using. I'm think'n that's my problem.
  • edited March 2006
    know for sure about the Elixir brand ram, but your mobo does support 1 GB dimms. You are right though, in that you need 2 separate sticks of ram to let your mobo run in dual channel mode and let it run to it's fullest potential.

If you bought the ram from someone like Newegg, I would send the ram back and take the 15% restocking hit and then order a 1 GB dual channel kit (2-512 MB dimms) of a good quality memory. Don't just buy the cheapest crap they have as that's pretty much a crapshoot. A64 machines can be real picky about what kind of ram they like, so I would stick with a name brand such as OCZ, Corsair, G Skill, Patriot or such and stay away from the no-names. The other brands might run just fine, but the bigger brands are the sure way to go. Another bit of advice; read some of the reviews of the ram you are thinking of buying and look for people that are using your model mobo. That might give you an idea if the ram in question will run on yours.