HT Multiplier no higher than x2 with +.2V Help

edited March 2006 in Hardware
Hi Everyone

I'm Just reading thru the Overclocking Guide(lemonlime) every thing going well except the HT Multiplier. Once I get the Clock above 210x11 I have to drop the the HT down to 2 with +0.2v . I read the bit about never being able to reach the ht potential should I be worried. I currently it up to 2640Mhz but am I losing out.

Your Ultimate wisdom awaited EEEEEEEagerly.:crazy:

x2 4400 @ 2640Mhz
2 x 512 Mushkin Redline@ 438
2 x 7800 GT @503 & 1180 SLI
1x 74 GB Raptor
460w Antec PSU
Gigabyte GAK8N Pro SLI

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    calous3 wrote:
    Hi Everyone

I'm Just reading thru the Overclocking Guide(lemonlime) every thing going well except the HT Multiplier. Once I get the Clock above 210x11 I have to drop the the HT down to 2 with +0.2v . I read the bit about never being able to reach the ht potential should I be worried. I currently it up to 2640Mhz but am I losing out.

Your Ultimate wisdom awaited EEEEEEEagerly.:crazy:

x2 4400 @ 2640Mhz
    2 x 512 Mushkin Redline@ 438
    2 x 7800 GT @503 & 1180 SLI
    1x 74 GB Raptor
    460w Antec PSU
    Gigabyte GAK8N Pro SLI

Hi Calous3,

I'm surprised that you have to use the 2X LDT multiplier at a 240MHz reference clock. That seems far too low to me, and I'm surprised your system remained stable with such a low HTT clock. Ideally, you should be still using the 4X multiplier at 11x240. That is very odd indeed. Is your system totally stable at this setting?

It is true that the HTT bus is not a bottleneck, but this is really assuming that it is close to the default 2000MHz. You are only at 960MHz presently, which is significantly lower. Performance could be affected in this situation. I'd be curious to see some benchmarks actually :)

When you say +0.2V, are you talking about vcore? It is quite possible that you've hit a hard limit on your chip actually. 2.64GHz is quite reasonable for a 4400+.
  • edited March 2006
    Hi Lemonlime

Thanks for the response.

I've been doing some digging around and it seems this is a common problem for this family of gigabyte boards.

when I mentioned the +.2 its a setting for the HT Voltage this is seperate to the V.core(1.550v).

I've just ran 3dmark06 (basic version) score 7461.
    3d05 13002/ 3d03 28000ish(can't remember slept since saturday)

current settings 4400 x2@245x11 2702 Mhz HT x2 +.1v
    PC3200 @ 448Mhz

I think i'll have to change my MOBO :(

Any Advice on which one also would a Swiftech H20 APEX Ultra be a good choice for water cooling.

Sorry to Drag on

Calous 3
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    calous3 wrote:
    Hi Lemonlime

Thanks for the response.

I've been doing some digging around and it seems this is a common problem for this family of gigabyte boards.

when I mentioned the +.2 its a setting for the HT Voltage this is seperate to the V.core(1.550v).

I've just ran 3dmark06 (basic version) score 7461.
    3d05 13002/ 3d03 28000ish(can't remember slept since saturday)

current settings 4400 x2@245x11 2702 Mhz HT x2 +.1v
    PC3200 @ 448Mhz

I think i'll have to change my MOBO :(

Any Advice on which one also would a Swiftech H20 APEX Ultra be a good choice for water cooling.

Sorry to Drag on

Calous 3

Thats a weird bug for a mainboard to have, just one of those quirks I guess :-/

There are lots of great 939 mainboards out there. My personal favorites are the DFI NF4 series boards. They have a good track record, and their overclockability is top-notch. Not the most user friendly boards, but they are very tweakable. Most of the 939 ASUS NF4/RD480 boards are also quite good, and a good choice if you want something a little more simple (although these days there are a lot of OC options in the ASUS bios too).

Its been a while since I've been in the watercooling game, but I've heard that the APEX is one of the best blocks out there. If I recall correctly, you need a pretty high-pressure/flow pump to take advantage of it though.
  • edited March 2006
    lemonlime wrote:
    Thats a weird bug for a mainboard to have, just one of those quirks I guess :-/

There are lots of great 939 mainboards out there. My personal favorites are the DFI NF4 series boards. They have a good track record, and their overclockability is top-notch. Not the most user friendly boards, but they are very tweakable. Most of the 939 ASUS NF4/RD480 boards are also quite good, and a good choice if you want something a little more simple (although these days there are a lot of OC options in the ASUS bios too).

Its been a while since I've been in the watercooling game, but I've heard that the APEX is one of the best blocks out there. If I recall correctly, you need a pretty high-pressure/flow pump to take advantage of it though.

Thanks

Once I get kitted out i'll report back with the results. Once again thanks for the help

Calous3