the "Windows XP" splash screen the loading bar at the bottom freezes.

edited March 2006 in Hardware
The computer is a presario 6000. About 2 years old.
I have windows xp home (well I believe it is home I have disc for xp pro but on the console a authenticity sticker for home) on my computer and now whenever it reaches the "Windows XP" splash screen with the loading bar at the bottom it freezes.

When it restarts it comes up with the screen saying that the coomputer wasnt turned off properly and has the "safe mode" and "start windows normally" etc. options...

when i choose "start windows normally" or "last known good configuration" the
same thing happens with the splash screen.

when i choose "safe mode" a load of text starts scrolling up the screen
starts with
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\appPatch\drvmain.sdb
but stops at
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Mup.sys
with about another 15 of these in between with different endings.

I have read the other thread and gone through some of the advise on there but to no avail. My problem does not seem the same as the guy with the daughter.

I have downloaded a reinstall disc from microsoft but the pc will not read it and keeps asking me to start in safe mode. I downloaded the 6 disc system on to cd not sure if that is working right. As it is supposed to be on floppy disc and the new pc I have does not support the old floppy's. Tried the memory test but got a blank screen.

I also tried pressing Del at the start and setting all the fail-safe
defaults.. but that took me back to safe mode start up.

Went through the bios and reset them.

Tried recovery that gave me a blank black screen.

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated :) I am still in cool mode but not long till I go to B&Q for a sledgehammer..

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2006
    Which memory test did you (try to) run? We can probably help you there.

It might be a good idea to get the hard drive test from the manufacturer and give that a go.
  • edited March 2006
    Memtest86 iso version. of which I got from primesuspect in got a problem check here first.
    Thanks,
    Michele.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2006
    The fact that several of the tests lead to an eventual blank screen make me wonder if it's a Power Supply problem. Do you know anyone who could loan you one for testing purposes?

If you can get your hands on a spare video card, that might be worth a shot, too.

Good luck. :)