edited April 2006 in Hardware
Ok first the specs:

Epox EP-9NPA+Ultra
AMD 64 3500+
OCZ 2GB Kit DDR400 PC3200
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB Serial ATA II
EVGA 6800GS 256MB PCI Express x16 Video Card
450W Antec PSU

I put it all together and I get a C1 on the LED and a beep every 2 seconds or so. There is nothing coming up on the monitor at all. In the book it says that C1 is memory related so I tried different combinations of the OCZ memory and then I tried another stick of memory with the same results. I figured that I better ask for help first before I try something and fry the whole thing.

Kristof2

Comments

• edited March 2006
    Kristof, have uplugged everything but vid card and 1 stick of ram in your rig? If not, do that and then try to boot with 1 stick at a time and switching the dimm slot and then the dimm out after going through all the slots and see if you can get to a boot situation. If you can get it to boot, then go ahead and manually set the memory parameters to what the ram is rated for; maybe the bios is having problems reading the spd timings for some reason.

If you still can't boot, then I think it would be time to check the ram in another board and see if it's good. If it tests good on another board, then I guess it's RMA time for the mobo.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    Yep, mudd's advice above is what I would recommend as well. If you have any smaller 256/512MB DDR dimms lying around, you could try those in the board as well. Even PC2100/PC2700 is fine for testing.

wouldn't hurt to clear the CMOS as well. I'd yank to CMOS battery for about 5 minutes, reinsert and try again.
  • Kristof2Kristof2 Member
    edited March 2006
    i tried all your suggestions. i took the ram out of my other running computer and tried it in different slots and nothing changes. i tried resetting the CMOS. that didn't do anything either. Everyting is brand new except for the CPU which i bought used from a guy from here so I trust that it is good.

Kristof2
  • edited March 2006
    Have you tried the new ram in the working system yet? If so, did it post? Aslo, do you have another psu that you can use to test with? I doubt that though, since your mobo takes a 24 pin connector.

It's sounding to me like you might have gotten a bum board though, unfortunately.
    edited March 2006
    Hi Kristof,

I think Mudd may be right about the board being the troubled component. If you've tried several different dimms in it with the same results, that could be it. I'm not familiar with that specific mainboard, but are all of the power cables plugged in? including the 4-pin?

Have you tried booting with nothing plugged in except for the video card? (i.e. no usb components, no ide/sata items etc?)
    edited March 2006
    I tried everything and got the same results. So the board has been RMAd hopefully the next one will be better.

Kristof2
    edited March 2006
    Good luck with the next board Kristof2! Let us know how the next one goes.. :thumbsup:
    edited April 2006
    GRRRRRR!!!!. I just got the board installed and everything ready to start up. I get the same exact problem. Just to be sure I am not screwing anyting up, are all the components listed in my first post compatible? From searching on the internet there seems to be a bad batch of boards but I hope I couldn't have gotten two in a row.

Kristof2
    edited April 2006
    I just found this post on another forum:

http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/epox-motherboards/32053-boot-problems-on-new-system.html

They seem to have come to the conclusion that the Antec 450W smartpower 2 is not compatible with the board. Anybody have any recommendations as to a better PSU for me??

Kristof2
    edited April 2006
    Ahh, crappy. I think the OCZ powerstream 520 is a great PSU for the money. Its got a single beefy 12V rail which is usually a little less finiky.

Good luck! :)
    edited April 2006
    lemonlime wrote:
    Ahh, crappy. I think the OCZ powerstream 520 is a great PSU for the money. Its got a single beefy 12V rail which is usually a little less finiky.

Good luck! :)

I just put in a new PSU. I ended up getting the OCZ 520 watt one. And I stil have the same trouble. I sent Epox an email hopefully they will get back to me soon.

Kristof2
  • Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx Member
    edited April 2006
    Is the motherboard inside or outside of the case?
    edited April 2006
    outside
    edited April 2006
    And now I just tried it outside the case with just the video card and CPU and I still get the same thing! I don't really know what to do since I have heard that Epox support isn't the best. And I can't really be buying all new components.

Kristof2