Memory for NF7-S V2.

HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
edited March 2006 in Hardware
Hey Mackanz, Hawk here. I was wondering what would be a good OCZ memory to use for a little overclocking on an Abit NF7-S v2.
I see the timings on this Gold Series can make 2/2/2/5 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227211#DetailSpecs
Would this be a decent ram for OC'ing on this mobo, or would you reccomend something else?
I'm putting an Athlon XP 3200+ in it.
Thnx in advance for your help Mac.

Comments

• TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Hi Hawk,

If i would buy ram today i would without a doubt buy 2X1GB. The difference is enormous between a gig and 2 gigs. Now, what speeds are you talking about? 210-220 fsb? The ram you linked to is really good and should suit the board really well. I have that same kit doing 235 at 3.2 volts on an A64 rig.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Thnx for the info Mac,
    I'll go with the 2X1GB. I was contemplating it already.
    Glad you said something to push me a little into the 2GB, which will always be good for the 64 bit mobo I'll be going into soon.
    Would you recommend getting a higher ram that will overclock in the NF7-S v2 and will be a good ram for the 64 bit mobo later or is the ram I linked good for both?
    I'm looking at getting the DFI board/ Opteron 170 setup in a mnth or so.
    I just want to make the right decision as I'm spending a chunk of change if you know what I mean.
    edited March 2006
    Hawk,

I'm not sure i would buy DDR memory that's very pricey considering that everything is going DDR2 in a short while. If i where in your shoes, and since that board does tops 200 something with 2X1GB, i would get the cheapest PC3200 2GB kit i could find and save the money to the new rig where you probably will consider AM2 and DDR2. And with a wild Yonah coming out...DDR2 is the way to lay the money on.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    How about this one Mac-- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227210
    It's $158.00 after rebate. Timings are 2-3-2-5.
    On the 2nd customer review-- the guy said he got it down to 2-2-2-5.
    Can't get much better than that-- can I?
    edited March 2006
    That is the ram with the tightest latency, but you will not be able to run them at 2-2-2-5 though. At that price, it's kinda hard to stay away from. That is really cheap. It doesn't overclock like a champion though, but you might be able to max out your board at least.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    OK, Thnx Mac, I got the 2x1G matched sticks. I thought that price was pretty nice. Appreciate your help friend.