nVidia Ousted From DirectX 10 Development?

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited February 2006 in Hardware
Not quite news, as it's yet unsubstantiated, but considering nVidia's recent track record, this seems feasible:
Courtesy of Gearbox Software Forums

Nvidia's NV38 (along with the rest of the FX series) has been dubbed as a substandard card by the DX Development Team. This means that DX will not include NV in it's developement range for directx10. Team DX made the decision "as a favor to the graphics industry". Team DX claims that NV violated their partnership agreement by changing the DX9 code with their latest set of drivers as caught by Xbit labs recently. This violates the licensing agreement and conpromises DX's quality in order to make it seem as if ATi and NV cards alike display the same image quality (which would be really bad in this case).

Comments

• FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited October 2003
    Sounds like NV is really pissin M$ off quite a bit. First with the xbox NeXt and now this.

We may start to see nvidia fade out. GOOD RIDDANCE IMHO for what they did with 3dfx. You know I baught a 3dfx voodoo5 for around 250$ right before 3dfx was ousted by nvidia. So no new drivers etc... I wqas basically raped by nvidia.

what comes around goes around you greedy bastards :)
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Good riddance?

If SIS don't step in before NV fade then we will all be paying £500 for graphics cards..........

NS
  • edited October 2003
    When did nV "make it seem as if ATI and NV cards alike display the same image quality"? I knew the nVidia drivers had removed effects/reduced texture quality for an increase in speed, but not "display the same image quality as ATI". It sounds like they changed the system's DX code (with the installation of nVidia drivers?) to make ATI cards image quality look as bad as them nV's, but that just seems absurd.

Could someone please fill me in to what I'm missing here?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    That "snippet" sure sounds fake to me - it's just not written in journalistic style...
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    yeah I find it awefully hard to swallow ...
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2003
    They better not die out because 1) the competition for better, faster cards just got smaller and 2) video cards are going to get a bit more expensive now with no compition.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Nono, they wont die at all. Remember, they still make twice as much money (a least) than ATI, selling videocards. Although, the last 12 months have been a dropdown for Nvidia and i think they are a little scared. ATI was in the same situation not to long ago and all it takes is a good core and a price that is competitive. Just like Ati came out with the 9700 core.
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited October 2003
    primesuspect said
    That "snippet" sure sounds fake to me - it's just not written in journalistic style...

Well, it was from a forum.. Forums are a good place for improperness ( except here :) We're all "proper".. lol)
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited October 2003
    The statement was posted by an individual who has a history of posting nothing but anti-NVidia statements on forums that represent a company that couldn't port a console game over to the PC correctly.

NVidia has been developing DX-compliant cards since DX3 (remember the NV3, ie The Riva 128 & Riva 128ZX). I don't think the DirectX Development Team is going to kick NVidia out of the development circle because of what some online review site had to say (ie XBit Labs).

However, if this rumour has any substantiation to it, we may see NVidia sign on to produce advanced OpenGL cards... :)
    edited October 2003
    SimGuy said
    However, if this rumour has any substantiation to it, we may see NVidia sign on to produce advanced OpenGL cards... :)

LOL ...oh they're already there and on top actually. Well maybe not anymore this graph is kinda old.
    I may need to get rid of them a little later on ...cadalyst is kinda funny about borrowing there stuff ...like you can't even post "your" results from "their" benchmarks.
    edited October 2003
    ...and this one
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited October 2003
    Interesting graphs you have there CSimon.

I should have clarified my statement: NVidia may sign on and start to specialize in consumer OpenGL cards if they could no longer develop for DX. :)
    edited October 2003
    SimGuy said
    Interesting graphs you have there CSimon.

I should have clarified my statement: NVidia may sign on and start to specialize in consumer OpenGL cards if they could no longer develop for DX. :)

Yeah I kinda thought that's what you meant really. It would be nice to have a professional performer on the market that does well at DX also ...I mean 3dlabs really sux at DX and if anyone complains about it in their forums they just reply with "THIS IS NOT A GAME CARD". So so many complaints.

When they were acquired by Creative Labs I thought that finally would have happend with a wildcatVP type of card but not.

Anyway ...make no mistake ...I love 3dlabs cards for what they are and what they do ...they do it well and perhaps the very best however ...I feel the need to DX now and then.
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited October 2003
    If that really happened i'd shoot myself

i think this is all just a big fat lie, what a hoax.....
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Hhello!

Submitted by: Shorty

Source: [url=][/url]