Motherboard cpu Heatsink holder

edited March 2006 in Hardware
I need to get another one of the motherboard heastink holders that holds the processor heatsink to the motherboard. One of the clips on the motherboard that holds the heatsink to the motherboard broke and well that means my processor also fried. I can find a new processor, but who carries/what do they call the plastic part that broke on my mobo.

Any help would be apprieciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    They call it a retention bracket. I don't quite know where you can purchase a new one. Typically they come with the motherboard, and then the heatsink has the one it needs to attach to that bracket.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited March 2006
    A possible alternative would be to find an aftermarket cooler that does not need that bracket. I can't make any suggestions as no information was supplied as to what motherboard/processor you are running, however google is your best friend in this case.

Quite a few of our mobo's are fitted with after market coolers, which required removal of the old bracket. HTH.

Jon
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    Hi StarJunior,

What type of motherboard do you have? Is it an Athlon XP, Pentium 4, Athlon 64 system?

Jon's advice above is probably your best bet. The Zalman 7000 series heatsinks do not require the bracket and do a better job than the retail heatsink.

AFIK, you have to purchase those brackets from the mainboard manufacturer, and that could be a long wait, and probably a lot of money.

Good luck :thumbsup:
  • edited March 2006
    It is a P4 478 gigabyte motherboard. The only information i needed was the retention bracket. Thanks that got me what i needed.