Unable to send or recieve Work Unit

WingaWinga MrSouth Africa Icrontian
edited March 2006 in Folding@Home
I have been unable to link to Stanford's servers for the last 24 hours or so.
Is there anyone else experiencing this or is it just me?

The problem is not internet connectivity. I'm posting from the computer in question.

Comments

• dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited March 2006
    Are any of your work units supposed to go to these "down" servers??

Looks like a few are having problems and being the weekend does not help.

Hope they get them sorted sooner, rather than later.
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    I am unable to link to the Stanford site at all never mind check the server status :( I quickly nipped off to the office to check the status of my PC there. It is on a different IP address. It is also unable to send it's WU.

I hope they do fix the problem soon :eek2:
  • edited March 2006
    i think what dragonV8 is saying is that certain wu's get sent to certain servers. If you have a wu that is trying to send to one of the servers that are down then that is what the problem is.

bikerboy
    edited March 2006
    bikerboy wrote:
    i think what dragonV8 is saying is that certain wu's get sent to certain servers. If you have a wu that is trying to send to one of the servers that are down then that is what the problem is.

bikerboy

That is correct. All work units have the server number in them.

Server info:

DOWN:110, 111, 120, 68 & 154.
    REJECT:130, 132, 143, 144 & 153.

* Just checked our farm and we have some in the same situation. 56 pointers from server 149. Weird!! My notebook sent one to the same server 30 minutes ago.:eek:
    .149 has an high net load for several days
    edited March 2006
    Thanks bikerboy.
    I realize there are multiple servers and that they go down at times. I have checked on them before. At the moment I am unable to link to any of the Stanford sites. Not even their home page so cannot verify if the servers are down or not.

Thanks for the info Jon :thumbsup:
    (I see you Aussie boys gave us a thorough hiding in the cricket today :( breaking a few world records in the process)
    edited March 2006
    Winga, the only suggestion i have at this time is to turn off your firewall to see if you can get through. I just tried all connections related to stanford and got through without a problem.

If that does not work, it may possibly be your ISP(??).

Been too busy with computers to check out the cricket. Thanks for the update though.:thumbsup:
    edited March 2006
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. It has become uncanny. I can link on any site except stanfords. Even the "My Folding" HTML link in the FAH folder doesn't work :scratch:
    I thought it may be my ISP, thats why I went to my work to check the PC there. We use a different ISP at work. Same story...backed up WU and refusing to connect to Stanford.

I have disabled the anti-virus, firewall, anything I can find thats running in task manager. Still no results :(
    Hopefully it will sort itself out on Monday.

BTW Jon, I dunno how we did it but we won the cricked :D We had to beat 434 runs in 50 overs so I kinda wrote it off as an impossible feat, but we did it!!
    (sorry for going off topic guys, but SA and Aussie are old cricketing rivals and this game genuinely smashed some world records)
    edited March 2006
    Winga wrote:
    BTW Jon, I dunno how we did it but we won the cricked :D We had to beat 434 runs in 50 overs so I kinda wrote it off as an impossible feat, but we did it!!
    (sorry for going off topic guys, but SA and Aussie are old cricketing rivals and this game genuinely smashed some world records)

:topic: Great to hear you guys had a win. I can imagine it would have been a top one to watch. Better than fixing computers, lol. We'll just have to see what happens with the next few games. May the best team win.:thumbsup::topic:

Back on topic. Have you tried restarting any of the Work Units? Sometimes that actually helps too.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    it sounds like your server will not even resolve the web address.
    time for a reboot of the router?
    I have this happen at work once in a while where a DNS server forgets to look up web addresses.
    edited March 2006
    I have established that the problem I have of not being able to link to Stanfords site, lies beyond the scope of my router or PC. It seems to be a national problem :( After phoning a few ISP's and asking them to check if they can link to Stanford, they all confirmed that they could not.

Can anyone please give me an e-mail address for FAH at Stanford so I can mail them and find out where the problem lies.

Thanks
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2006
    See if you can get to the Folding Community Forums. If you can, that's probably your best bet.

If not, I'll keep looking for an email address. :)
    edited March 2006
    It doesn't want to load Prof :(
    edited March 2006
    UPDATE:

I have managed to post my problem on the FAH forum so will wait to see what the outcome is. I now have 7 WU's waiting to go. When they do finally get through I'm going to have a spike in the stats that's off the screen :D
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Glad to see that you may have this resolved. I hope so!!! :thumbsup:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2006
    They merged your post into another thread, but the latest word indicates that the problem may be coming to an end. :)
    edited March 2006
    Yes the problem has been resolved :) I am very happy that it sorted itself out. The advice they had given in the FAH help forum was waaay to technical for me to follow.
    Thanks guys for all your help and support. Three days of no production was beginning to stress me out.

Prof, thanks for "checking up on me" in the FAH forums. It's great to know that my teammates are there for me.