It's Time for Spring ....

QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
edited March 2006 in Hardware
Cleaning!

My friends: Do it. Here are some reasons why:

Here is an ATI X800XT video card. Cleaning this brought full load temps nearly 15-20C down from dangerous 70-80C levels. I can now overclock it and not go over 65C.

attachment.php?attachmentid=19486&stc=1&d=1142176236

Next we have a laptop that, for some reason, shut down when it started Folding ....

attachment.php?attachmentid=19487&stc=1&d=1142176236

Finally we have my wifes' PC. Notice how the dust hid underneath the fan edges and started constricing flow through the HS fins. VERY similar to what happened to my mis-Folding CPU that we handled here at SM a while back (only that situation was much worse than this). When cleaning an HSF, BE SURE to remove the fan to check and clear the radiator fins underneath.

attachment.php?attachmentid=19488&stc=1&d=1142176236

Video cards can be a much more difficult proposition to clean than a CPU; but are becoming every bit as important- especially the high-end ones. MANY video card woes can be found here. My suggestion is to use compressed air to blow out the heatsink radiator flues.

If you haven't done it in a while, now is a good time to eliminate a few threads from this website and roll up the sleeves. May all your systems be ready for the summer season!

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited March 2006
    Here is the video card from my wifes' PC. It should be nostalgic for some of you- a Ti4200 with an old friend: The GeForce4. It has been cleaned out a couple of times with a vacuum, but no real thorough cleaning was ever performed on this component. This time I decided to change that-

attachment.php?attachmentid=19489&stc=1&d=1142177578

My suggestion was to use compressed air to blow out the heatsink radiator flues. Removing the fan helps, but some cards, like the Ti4200 shown, it is not an easy proposition or, generally, even necessary.

However, if you are nearly OCD like me and just have to tear it down and put it back together- just be sure you are prepared with patience, isopropyl alcohol, cotton swabs, miniature drivers, a couple of other tools and that tube of thermal compound you have left from your last CPU job.

attachment.php?attachmentid=19490&stc=1&d=1142177609

I have some pictures of that process too for this board- but that is another story. Here is the finished product:

attachment.php?attachmentid=19491&stc=1&d=1142177578

Men- keep your PC components cooler and your women happier :) .:thumbsup:
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Very nice work Qeldroma... nice and clean!!!! :thumbsup:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    I just did the same thing with the NF7-S that I donated to SM18 - i tore the whole thing apart and re-pasted the heatsinks on all components, etc. What a great feeling! So clean and fresh :crazy:

Looks great, Qeldroma! :D
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited March 2006
    And I thought I was the only one into spring cleaning!

Just finished, (last night) cleaning my rigs out and reseating the heatsinks in 2 of them.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited March 2006
    That is a remarkable difference. Looking good Qeldroma.:thumbsup:
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited March 2006
    Good idea.. I need to do that too. I haven't opened my case in such a long time!! I need to do that sometime this week!

When cleaning the heatsinks, is it okay if I save a little time and leave them seated? I'll probably just use the ShopVac and an air compressor to get rid of all the dust. I'd rather leave the heatsinks like they are and not mess with all of that.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited March 2006
    I might get around to that soon...I was thinking about re-lighting my case with blue led fans/cathodes. Right now i have all green stuff. Maybe I'll throw in some UV
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited March 2006
    When cleaning the heatsinks, is it okay if I save a little time and leave them seated? I'll probably just use the ShopVac and an air compressor to get rid of all the dust. I'd rather leave the heatsinks like they are and not mess with all of that.

It certainly is okay! I would recommend going there only if I'm

1. looking to improve heat transfer by replacing the thermal compound,
    2. wanting to be uber-responsible, thorough and conscientious like primesuspect, or
    3. having that OCD bug. :vimp:

In short, it is nice but not needed- especially if you don't have the time or want to take the risk.

One thing that may be overlooked is that sometimes a layer of residue may form on the heatsinks. You may check this by running a cloth over the surface after you vacuum- you may well find that it is still dirty. A non-static cloth is ideal for removing this.

Just cleaning up could well be the difference between stable computing this summer and replacing components some have dumped their savings accounts into. Doing more is just icing on the cake.

:thumbsup: