Network usage question

gtghmgtghm New
edited March 2006 in Science & Tech
What controls "Network usage" on my network?

In my taskmanager under networking it tells me that my wireless link speed is connected at 54 yet it shows my network utialization at 17%. If that were changed to a higher would that change the length of time it takes to transfer a file from one machine to another on my home network?

"g"

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    The wireless link speed is the negotiated, maximum theoretical throughput between the client (you) and the wireless access point. It is derived mathematically from the strength of the signal, and the signal's integrity. It is not, however, indicative of the speeds you will actually receive.

Random quasi-related information:
    802.11G is marketed at 54Mbps. That's 5.4 megabytes per second (Given network overhead), or half of BASE10/100. Given 802.11A/B/G's ferocious rate of attentuation, the actual throughput is something on the order of a mere 40-50% of the marketed value.

Back on to the main point:
    So, if the marketed value is 5.4 megabytes per second, your actual throughput is only (At best) 2.1-2.7 megabytes per second. Given radio interference, antenna misalignment, and sundry other minor glitches in almost any wireless configuration, most people get 1.5-1.7 megabytes per second out of a SoHo 802.11G connection.

The Network Usage window:
    The graph represents a function of your actual throughput as a percentage of your negotiated link speed. As an example, if your negotiated link speed is 5.4 megs/sec, and your actual throughput is 1.7 megs/sec, your network usage window is going to report 31% usage.

Because of the nature of wireless, you'll also notice that it fluctuates wildly. Sometimes as low as 0.00/0.02% all the way up to 70%. Your throughput, unfortunately, won't be consistent. Thanks to frame-burst, and a variety of other packet-accelerating techniques, the aggregate throughput at the end will be close to the mathematics I have described, but it'll seem much worse than it is (and trust me, .11g is bad). To (Finally) arrive upon the answer you seek, having a higher network utilisation percentage would yield faster transfer times, but there's little you can do to influence without better equipment or antennas.
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited March 2006
    Thanks