GUild Wars, free mouse?

kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
edited March 2006 in Gaming
Is there a way to toggle free mouse look in GW? like you know if you're playing quake or something like that, you move the mouse and that's where you look. in GW, you have to hold the right mouse button to do that. Isn't there a way to toggle mouse look or whatever? I hate that. Same thing in WoW, I hate having to hold down the right mouse button to look around, hate being stuck with the cursor on screen.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    I don't have an answer for you for Guild Wars but WoW has no such option. I guess I just got used to it over the years with EverQuest. I had to sit there and go through the motions of mouse-look with WoW here at work before I realised it. ;D
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    In EQ2 it's the same way. no toggle, we have to hold down the left mouse button. Would be useful however, when you numloc to run, being able to watch your back from getting ganked.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Neithre game is intended to be an FPS. They are Strategy RPGs, and thus, have no fluid looking option, they don't need it, and it would cause people to play them the way they play FPSs...
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    CBDroege wrote:
    Neithre game is intended to be an FPS. They are Strategy RPGs, and thus, have no fluid looking option, they don't need it, and it would cause people to play them the way they play FPSs...
    That's ypur opinion. I would much rather use my keyboard to fire off specials and buffs instead of moving my mouse up and down the screen all the time to click on a button bar. Besides, why include the option to even use a first person view then? And if I want to play it more like an FPS, why shouldn't I? I bought the game after all didn't I?
    edited March 2006
    That it allows you to zoom into a close perspective, does not make it an FPS... You don't complain when games like Diablo don't let you mouse-look. If Diablo added a feature that allowed you to look through the eyes of the character for a brief time, does that mean it's a bad thing if they don't also set it up so that you could control it like a standard FPS?

You can use your keyboard to fire-off skills... When I play I keep my left hand poised on the number-row, so that I can activate my skills that way, then I use the mouse only for choosing targets...

But, if you had to 'fire' each attack with the mouse button, like you do in most FPSs, then GW would be a much more tedious game...
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    At first, kanez, I was of the exact same opinion as you. Then I started to play Guild Wars from a zoomed-out third-person perspective, and it made a lot more sense to not have the free mouse look. It only took about a day to get used to it, and now I play Guild Wars in a totally different way than I play an FPS. It's a lot more enjoyable this way.

I, too, keep my left hand over the number keys row to use skills, but I also do most of my target selection with the keyboard too. My left hand pretty much is used to hit all the keys and my right hand for using the mouse control.
    edited March 2006
    GHoosdum wrote:
    At first, kanez, I was of the exact same opinion as you. Then I started to play Guild Wars from a zoomed-out third-person perspective, and it made a lot more sense to not have the free mouse look. It only took about a day to get used to it, and now I play Guild Wars in a totally different way than I play an FPS. It's a lot more enjoyable this way.

I, too, keep my left hand over the number keys row to use skills, but I also do most of my target selection with the keyboard too. My left hand pretty much is used to hit all the keys and my right hand for using the mouse control.

Guys, I must have explained myself wrong. I don't play in first person view, I'm always zoomed out. I always keep my left hand over the numbers row too. What I'm saying is I hate the fact that I have to press the right mouse button down to activate mouselook. It's lame. I use TAB to target the nearest NPC and then I'll attack with a ranged weapon and if it attacks back with a ranged weapon, I close in and attack with a melee weapon. If it stays ranged, or for the time it takes it to close in on me, I stay with my ranged weapon, then switch to melee once it's in melee range. Then I can use all my specials and fire them off with my left hand. My point is I only use the mouse to move around and to look around, so why wouldn't they have a mouselook mode built in? My middle finger hates me for pushing the right mouse button down for so long. I don't ever click on the icons for my specials with my mouse.

I found a mod for WoW that enables mouselook, and have seen a post from a WoW dev that in 1.11 (maybe 1.10) they're going to have a native mouselook mode in the game, so no need for a mod anymore, great! Now if only they would add that in for GW, I'm set. Again, I don't play zoomed in to first person view, and I also rearely use WASD to move around as I have my mouse's BACK thumb button mapped to auto-run. I hit that and use the mouse to direct which way my toon is running in.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Ah, so what you're saying is you don't want to have to hold down the right mouse button all the time? Me too. I don't think it's an option yet, but if enough people send it in as a suggestion, they might implement it.
    edited March 2006
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Ah, so what you're saying is you don't want to have to hold down the right mouse button all the time? Me too. I don't think it's an option yet, but if enough people send it in as a suggestion, they might implement it.

Exactly. As jacked up as SWG is, that is the one thing they have over WoW and GW lol. You can go into mouselook mode by hitting the ALT key and you don't have to hold the right mouse button down to look around.
    edited March 2006
    kanezfan wrote:
    I have my mouse's BACK thumb button mapped to auto-run. I hit that and use the mouse to direct which way my toon is running in.

This is what I would call FPS style control. ;) You may be using auto run, but you're still directing your caracter's movement by looking in that direction with the mouse. It may be what you are most comfortable with (and I do it myself if I have a long way to run), but it still stands that this in not the way the character was really meant to be controled. They really did design the interface with the idea that the player would click on the ground where they want the character to go, and the camera would follow behind the character. The camera is intended to be game-controlled 95% of the time (thus no mouse-look toggle).

It's like you are so used to playing a chello that when you pick up a sitar, you try draw a bow across it, while standing it up on its end. It's going to be uncomfortable because that's not how the instrument was designed to be played.

I have a feeling that if you lay the sitar across your knees, and pluck at it, you might start to get more comfortable with it, the way GH and I have (yes, I also had to adapt at first, and if the option to toggle mouse-look had been there from the start, I would never have adapted to the intended control style, and, while I at first resented the style, I understand it's logic now, and I'm happy that they forced me to play this way.)

Asking them to add a mouse-look toggle, would be like asking a sitar manufactuer to produce a 'stand-up' version. It may make a few more people comfortable, but it won't really be the same instument anymore.

I'm not tryin' to pluck your strings here, it's just that I really think that the lack of this feature is a strength of the game, not a flaw.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Keyboard targeting: "C Space"
    I personally move my character with the keyboard and use the mouse to steer the screen.