win2000 to xp pro upgrade admin problem

edited March 2006 in Hardware
The problem I am now having is a result of an upgrade I did from Windows 2000 to Windows XP Pro in the last couple days. Ever since I did the upgrade there appears to be an issue with Administrator Rights. I say this because when I go to Windows Firewall I get a message that says

"Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want start Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service?" Yes No

If I press yes the firewall box opens but all the controls on the General tab are grayed out. The blue bar at the top says " For your security, some settings are controlled by Group Policy."

I also have no control over my network and some other admin controls.

When it boots up it says I am logged in as Administrator. But when I go to the Group Policy Management a box pops up that says I must log on to the computer with a domain user account.

FYI I am at best a novice computer user but feel comfortable going into make changes in places most would dare not.

Any help would be most appreciated. Especially since Microsoft support (who I was on the phone with yesterday) doesn't seem to know how to help me.

Thank You

Tim

Comments

• edited March 2006
    Please accept my apology for posting this in the wrong area. I just realized after I posted. It won’t happen again. Thanks.
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited March 2006
    Hello Moto, welcome to the S-M Forums!!!

No Problen with the thread placement, after all it could be classified an emergency for you...

Give us a little bit of time to do some research, there are some amazingly skilled people here, we'll help if we can!

Best Regards,

RADA
    edited March 2006
    Moto,

I have a couple possible solutions, you said you did an Upgrade, not a clean install right?

Did you install all applicable updates from Windows Update?

RADA
  • edited March 2006
    Hi RADA,

Thank you for your help. Correct I did an upgrade from 2000 pro to XP Pro. Yes I did try to do the Microsoft updates. Here is message I get when I do so:

“To use Microsoft Update, you must first install the latest version of some Windows components. This will allow your computer to work with these new features on the site:”

So once I try to do the updates I get this error message:

Error Code: 0x80070005
    Try to install the update again, or request help from one of the following resources.

I have not been able to find a cause or fix for that error.

Here is the instructions the Microsoft support person had me try:

“After checking the error page which was included in your reply, I found that Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 and Update for Windows XP (KB898461) could not be installed successfully. And I learn that the computer might be on a network according to the error message which was received when trying to
    start Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service. In addition, you thought that our issue is caused due to the administrative account has been changed when updating the computer from Windows 2000 to Windows XP Professional.

I would like to explain that our issue can occur when End User License Agreement (EULA) is not working properly. This service is related to Windows XP. Therefore, if the steps I provided below are tried without success, I suggest we contact Windows XP Support Professional to get our issue resolved.
    Thank you for your cooperation.

At this stage, let us refer to the following steps to get our issue resolved:

Create a new user account with administrator privileges
    ==============================================================================
    1. Click Start, Run and type "nusrmgr.cpl" (without the quotation marks) in the Run box and press Enter.
    2. Click Create a new account in the Pick a task list box.
    3. Type the name that you want to use for the account, and then click Next.

4. Select the desired account type, and then click Create Account.
    5. Follow the instructions to create a new account with Administrator rights.
    6. Log off the current user account and then log on the new account to test the issue.

For more information regarding user accounts configuration, please refer to:

HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783

After trying the above steps, let us get Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 and Update for Windows XP (KB898461) installed manually:

Step 1: Download the setup file
    ===================================================================
    Please download the setup file from the following link:

Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable (v2)

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=889482fc-5f56-4a38-b838-de776fd4138c&DisplayLang=en&gt;

Update for Windows XP (KB898461)

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=50c334e1-9a67-4b99-a65a-069b79267856&DisplayLang=en&gt;

Please save the setup file on your Desktop.

Step 2: Enter into Safe Mode
    ====================================================================
    1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.
    2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter.
    3. Log onto Windows.

NOTE: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.

Step 3: Install the update
    =====================================================================
    Run the downloaded setup file to install the update.”

I have also tried this with no success.

My question is this; does any of this have to do with Group Policy settings? Remember I appear to be having other administrator issues also. Is this why my firewall controls grayed out?

Thanks again.

Tim
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Right click on my computer -> properties -> Computer Name

What is the full computer name...?

Is the "Domain" line filled in..?

It sounds to me like this machine was previously on an NT or 2000/2003 Domain :)

What is the history of this machine.. :)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    You could also try a repair install as a last resort
  • edited March 2006
    Thank You for your help.

This custom computer was built by my brother and I years ago. It has been my own personal computer for many years running windows 2000 with no issues.

I believe you are on the right track! This computer was on my home network before I upgraded.

At the time we put it on my home network (about 5 years ago??) my brother was just learning about networks so who knows how he set it up. I am not able to ask him about it at this time which is why I am here seeking assistance.

We called this computer “mydad” on my “mshome” network according to the information on the “my computer” tab. There is no domain name that I can see on the “my computer” tab. There is however an option to rename or join a domain.

What little I know about networks (and believe me it is a little) it sounds to me like when the upgrade to XP Pro was done it didn’t transfer the administrator rights I had with win 2000.

Thank You

Tim
    edited March 2006
    Shorty is right, sounds like your machine still "sees" itself as a networked PC.

Because you keep getting errors asking for administrator level access, it might be pretty difficult to fix this problem. Your machine is stuck in a gray area between stand-alone-pc, and networked-pc. If the computer will boot, and you can save your info off it, a repair (as Prime stated), or a complete wipe and reload may be the solutions that offer you the best chance at resolving this problem.
  • edited March 2006
    I was afraid to get that answer. But I had also considered the same. The computer is working ok. I am using it now in fact. I just want to have administrator rights so that I can make changes as needed. But worse case is I will wipe it out and reload if need be. I was just hoping for a easier solution.

Thank You
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2006
    motomech10 wrote:
    ...worse case is I will wipe it out and reload if need be. I was just hoping for a easier solution.

Thank You
    Try the Repair Install. It'll give you a second chance with WinXP without removing any of your data. It might be a good idea to make sure you've deleted all Network Connections before you do it (assuming you can).
  • edited March 2006
    As a last resort, you can do an overlay install into the same folder as you presently have you OS files in now. I believe that the OS folder will be called C:\Winnt instead of the more common C:\Windows of a normal XP install due to the fact that you've upgraded instead of a clean install. Doing this will reinstall XP but will leave all previous apps and games on the computer. However, XP won't know about them until you rerun the install of them, which should go fast since the data is already there. But I wouldn't do this until all other avenues have been checked out; a last resort only.

One other thought; I've heard there's a downloadable image file of some linux based disk that will let you boot up and reset your Admin password. I don't know much about this; just remembered reading about this some time ago. Maybe one of our guys that are software wizzes like Shorty know more about this procedure. If you could boot with this disk, you could just reset your password to something you know, then be able to get in and do what you need to. :)