XP Pro install locks up.

dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
edited March 2006 in Science & Tech
Last night, Sally was putting the XP OS onto the new Duallie we are building. This has never happened to her before, so now there is concern the install may be somewhat corrupted.

The comp runs, but it would be nice to know what might be the cause of the lock up, and do we (Sally) need to re-format/re-install???

Any thought's????

Comments

• edited March 2006
    At what point did it lock up during the install, Jon? Was it during the initial install or when updating or adding drivers?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2006
    You could try going to Start>>Run and type in sfc /scannow and let the Windows System File Checker make sure that all the System Files are okey-dokey. Make sure the XP CD is in the drive when you start it.

I've seen this happen at times during the hardware detection process. Like Mudd mentioned, if that's what happened here and everything else is fine I wouldn't worry about it. :)
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited March 2006
    Thanks for the replies, guys.

Format had completed, system was at reboot stage when it hung. Sally did a soft-boot and everything progressed normally as expected past the points of naming the rig, installing license and well upto the selection of languages and time zone.

When the coloured lines are doing their thing, Sally gets the equivelant of "whiteline fever", lol. When she woke up from a long blink, the system had hung/stopped again, leaving Sally with a blank, light blue screen. so did another soft boot.

After the reboot the system returned to where you enter usernames, completely missing out on the internet connection setup (or did it?).

Now when the computer reboots, it boots to a My Documents folder and not the desktop, as it should.

Reinstalling is no big deal, just would like to know what could potentially be causing the hang ups.

On a further note, system has not been stable, rebooting possibly 3 times since install. The event viewer gives no indications of any major issues.

Thanks again.

Jon
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2006
    How did the reinstall go? :)