Business Computer help?

BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
edited March 2006 in Hardware
Hello everyone,

I am trying to help someone out on a new computer that can be very fast and instant.

I am thinking about

1 GB Ram

SATA 160GB hardrive

A decent proccesor

This is a computer to run a lot of applications but NO GAMES. So I want to build a computer out of parts from ground up.

Just the nice modern fast parts if you can help me out, ill post some parts ive been looking at but would really want a experts opinion about what I need to build a full functional fast PC for the business man.

Oh, and below budget of $900. And she wants to know if its possible to transfer data from one hardrive to another.

:rockon:

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    Hi Bubbleman..

Is a monitor/accessories needed? or just the PC itself?

A dual-core processor would be a great choice for someone doing a lot of multi-tasking. I'd recommend something like the AMD x2 3800+ or the Opteron 165. Either of those would be a great choice. If you'd like to go the intel route , the Pentium D 805 is an awesome price (under $150US for a dual core, but runs hotter, uses more power and is significantly slower than the AMD models I mentioned). It should be more than capable for a business machine though.

1GB of ram should be sufficient. Don't waste your money on low latency stuff, just a pair of name brand value-ram modules will do the trick. Corsair/OCZ/Mushkin/G.Skill etc. For the hard drive, something in the ~250GB range has the best bang-for-the-buck today. Since it won't be used for gaming, only a very basic graphics card will be necessary. Something like an ATI x1300 or Geforce 6200 is plenty.

Don't forget to pick up a quality power supply to go along with this PC. Cheap PSUs are one of the most common hardware killers, and since it's a business machine, I'm sure the data and hardware will be important.

I'll wait for you to post up your hardware choices, and we can give you some feedback :thumbsup:
  • edited March 2006
    OK, I ran a little bit over your budget, but not much, and includes XP Home in the build + shipping (to my area, your shipping cost might be different).

Here's what I came up with:

Shuttle XPC SN95G5V3 AMD Socket 939 Barebone - $255.99

LITE-ON Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW - $35.99

Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB 3.5" Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - $92.00

ASUS V9400-X/TD/64 Geforce MX4000 64MB 32-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card - $21.99

CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) - $136.00

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 1GHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor - Retail - $295.00

Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2 - OEM - $89.95

Shipping: $25.53

Total for build: $952.45

I went with the DC 3800 and 2 GB ram to futureproof the rig a bit and should perform well for quite a while. I also went with the Shuttle SFF box due to it's small size and ease of using around a desk at work, not taking up a whole lot of space. I went cheapo on the vid card, since this is an office type machine and doesn't need any gaming prowness.
  • edited March 2006
    lemonlime wrote:
    Hi Bubbleman..

Is a monitor/accessories needed? or just the PC itself?

A dual-core processor would be a great choice for someone doing a lot of multi-tasking. I'd recommend something like the AMD x2 3800+ or the Opteron 165. Either of those would be a great choice. If you'd like to go the intel route , the Pentium D 805 is an awesome price (under $150US for a dual core, but runs hotter, uses more power and is significantly slower than the AMD models I mentioned). It should be more than capable for a business machine though.

1GB of ram should be sufficient. Don't waste your money on low latency stuff, just a pair of name brand value-ram modules will do the trick. Corsair/OCZ/Mushkin/G.Skill etc. For the hard drive, something in the ~250GB range has the best bang-for-the-buck today. Since it won't be used for gaming, only a very basic graphics card will be necessary. Something like an ATI x1300 or Geforce 6200 is plenty.

Don't forget to pick up a quality power supply to go along with this PC. Cheap PSUs are one of the most common hardware killers, and since it's a business machine, I'm sure the data and hardware will be important.

I'll wait for you to post up your hardware choices, and we can give you some feedback :thumbsup:

Heh, sounds just like what I built for him, lemonlime. :D
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Of course! if you have a bank of $900 you can do a world of things! in all if you want something fast and snappy the AMD 3800+ X2 is a good choice along with the entire 939 platform.

With a (39 mobo rnaging in the $45-$80 range and a cpu in the $290's you still have plenty of room for a lower end Grphics card like a Nvidia 6600LE or a ATI X1300, along with adding 2 x 512MB dual channel DDR400 PC3200 will allow nice performance over all, brand like Corsair, OCZ and Patriot are all good choices. Cases and PSU are pretty cheap a 350W PSU will power what your looking for but I would recommend a 450W, below are some links of products I think you will find usefull...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103562 $290
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817148008 $65
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144011 $74
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157081 $70
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145450 $90
    Cases: $30-$60
    CD/ DVD RW drives $35-$60
    Misc Items: $50
    = $689

you can pick aup a monitor pretty cheap along with an operating system and kep it under $900.00 epecially if you go with the PSU within a Case already....