£550 to upgrade with help.

edited March 2006 in Hardware
Hi

I have £550 to upgrade with any suggestions appreciated.

My current Sys:

4400+ X2 @ 245 x 11, GAK8N PRO SLI, 2 x 512 Mushkin Red Line, 74GB Raptor, Akasa 460W PSU, DVD RW, 2 x BFG 7800 GT @ 498 /1200.

I know my mobo has a problem it wont OC with the HT multiplier Higher than 2x.

So many options the more I read the worse it gets.

yours Confused.....com

Calous3

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Wow.. that kicks the living crap out of just about most people's machines :wow:

I think the only real thing Id suggest would be to ditch the Gigabyte mobo and get something like the DFI... with more O/C options :)

I can't suggest much else as that is a pretty mint rig as it stands! ;D
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    I agree with Shorty, that is a rocking machine as it is :)

Couple of options:

Move to 2048MB of ram (look for OCZ PC4000EB for the best on the market right now)

DFI NF4 Expert mainboard (as Shorty mentioned above)

Move to a OCZ 520 Powerstream or other higher current PSU. This may be important once you begin overclocking a bit harder.
  • edited March 2006
    Shorty wrote:
    Wow.. that kicks the living crap out of just about most people's machines :wow:

I think the only real thing Id suggest would be to ditch the Gigabyte mobo and get something like the DFI... with more O/C options :)

I can't suggest much else as that is a pretty mint rig as it stands! ;D

Ye thanks

In my other thread Lemonlime mentioned the Asus or the DFI Kick ass board, and my other thought was Water cooling. I just didn't want to rush out spend my money and then find 1 week l8r I should av waited.

Thanks for the reply Def guna get the DFI

Calous3
  • edited March 2006
    One other motherboard that might be a viable choice is the Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe. I'm not saying it's a better choice than the DFI, but it tends to be easier to tune for a non-hardcore overclocker. But the DFI NF4-DR Expert also seems to be a very good performing board, with the vices of the earlier versions fixed.

Here's a couple of links to reviews of the 2 boards for you, to help you decide.

DFI NF4-DR Expert review

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe review
  • edited March 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    One other motherboard that might be a viable choice is the Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe. I'm not saying it's a better choice than the DFI, but it tends to be easier to tune for a non-hardcore overclocker. But the DFI NF4-DR Expert also seems to be a very good performing board, with the vices of the earlier versions fixed.

Here's a couple of links to reviews of the 2 boards for you, to help you decide.

DFI NF4-DR Expert review

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe review
    Hi all

Thanks for the advice,

Unfortunately I went to Overclocker.co.uk retail outlet with the money in my pocket(bad idea thats like going shopping to the supermarket when your hungry if u know wot I mean) anyway.
    I bought the DFI RDX200, Sapphire x1900xtx, tagan 530 PSU(was in the budget and is modular)and Gigabyte G Power Pro HS, then put my Gphx cards,mobo etc on Ebay And my 2nd x1900xt crossfire master arrives tues.

Things look ok the problem i had with HT multiplier on the Gigabyte mobo is sorted now running at 245x11 , ht multiplier @ 4 not having as much look with the Mem gunna take some time and some reading I think. X1900xt went straight up 2 689 core/1690 (ran 3d03 19500, 3d05 12000 and 5920 3d06 got 28000,13002 and 7640 with the 2x 7800gt's)

Can't wait to get my second card hopefully beat the 7800 scores(no sleep 4 me to night sad i know)

Sorry to av waffled on

Calous3
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited March 2006
    If you mean you went to overclockers.co.uk then the problem was not what you bought but where you bought it from.

Pray to god that you don't need rma anything to that bunch of muppets. Aside from that, enjoy your new purchases & I hope that they overclock well for you.