Windows XP start up error

edited March 2006 in Hardware
When I loaded up the other computer, once it got to the "Welcome" screen for XP Professional, it generated an error stating:

"Some system files are missing or damaged. You cannot log on at this time. Please use your installation CD to repair Windows. Error Code: 0x80040507."

So I restarted in Safe Mode with Command Prompt and used the folowing commands:

C:\Documents and Settings\User: cd c:\
C:\ chkdsk

Which informed me that no bad sectors. So I proceeded to use:

C:\ start system restore

Before the system restore box could come up, it generated this error:

"Windows cannot find '/idlist,:0:756, C:\WINDOWS\system'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search."

Then the system restore program opened up, and i restored back to Wednesday of this week. Once the computer restarted, it went to the "Welcome" screen, and sat there for approx. 6 mins, then generated the same original error of:

"Some system files are missing or damaged. You cannot log on at this time. Please use your installation CD to repair Windows. Error Code: 0x80040507."

I don't have access to a Windows CD, so is there ANYTHING i can do to fix this problem? The computer was working fine on Wednesday when I set up thier networking for them. (At this point, no files have been shared, so there's no way that someone could have gotten in and deleted the files. Well, there is, but these people dont' know that much about computers to even know where to go to view thier computers on the workgroup)