Overclocking my 4400+

Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
edited March 2006 in Hardware
I have the 4400+. Recently read article on OCing. I took a stab at it. These are my specs.

Ref Clk=230
Mem= 180 at 5/6 (had without the divide and was stable, chickened out so lowered it)
CPU spd=2530
HTT=1840 at 4x
Cpu multiplier=11
Vcore=1.36v (default)

Ran OCCT and Prime95(6.5 hrs on torture test)
Max temp 40C on air.

How much of a difference can you see from OCing.
What changes could I make to better performance without changing the Vcore.

Pardon my lack of knowledge!:scratch:

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    Looking good so far Radio91P! Welcome to Short-Media.

I'd keep increasing your reference clock. You may still have some headroom left in that chip. Just slowly increase until you get a Prime95 failure. Once that happens, you have some options. Your HTT and memory are still well within spec, so no roadblocks there yet. I'm guessing you may get around 2600MHz before you'll need to increase the vcore a bit.

Let us know how it goes.
  • Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
    edited March 2006
    Thanks for the help man!
    I am still really new at this. I would like to OC my video card.
    GeForce 7900GT 500-1500
    Not quite sure if that would be a good idea. How far can you push them without getting too involved?
    Thanks for any help you can offer.

Radio91P:respect:
    edited March 2006
    Radio91P wrote:
    Thanks for the help man!
    I am still really new at this. I would like to OC my video card.
    GeForce 7900GT 500-1500
    Not quite sure if that would be a good idea. How far can you push them without getting too involved?
    Thanks for any help you can offer.

Radio91P:respect:

Graphics cards are much easier to overclock than A64's ;)

Do a google search for 'coolbits' and you'll find the info you need to get started. Simply increase the core/memory clock speed a little at a time, and run a 3D application to look for any strange shapes/irregularities in video quality (known as artifacting). Once you start seeing artifacting, back down on the core/memory clock speeds by about 5-10MHz. Keep an eye on card temperatures before/after overclocking as well. The temp should not be increased too much, but just to be on the safe side keep an eye on it.

Let us know how that goes :thumbsup: .. also, did you break 2.6GHz on your 4400+ yet? :)
    edited March 2006
    2706 STABLE so far.
    Going to run prime all night long to make sure.

Here are the specs
    Ref Clk=246
    Mem Clk=193
    CPU=2704
    HTT=1968
    vcore=1.53
    max temp during prime=51C on air

Would it be better to lower the cpu speed and take off the memory divider to speed up the memory. Which has better performance overall?
    Is 51C too hot to be running?
    Thanks for the tip bro.

Radio91P:rockon:
    edited March 2006
    Radio91P wrote:
    2706 STABLE so far.
    Going to run prime all night long to make sure.

Here are the specs
    Ref Clk=246
    Mem Clk=193
    CPU=2704
    HTT=1968
    vcore=1.53
    max temp during prime=51C on air

Would it be better to lower the cpu speed and take off the memory divider to speed up the memory. Which has better performance overall?
    Is 51C too hot to be running?
    Thanks for the tip bro.

Radio91P:rockon:

2706! Sweet OC.. FX-60 eat your heart out :D:cheers:

The temps are getting a little high, but not too bad. I dont think you'll want to go too much further though. I would be careful not to allow it to go beyond 55'C. You can try to increase the reference clock a bit more, but I wouldn't increase the vcore any more. The vcore increases make the biggest impact in temperatures.

Once you are satasfied with your maximum CPU clock (2.7 is pretty awesome), you can start bringing memory back into the equation. I assume you are using the 5/6 (166MHz) divider right now.

What type of memory and mainboard are you using?
    edited March 2006
    I am not going to go any further. I ran Prime95 all night long. Fine after 7 hrs until if faulted. 48 degrees was the max temp.

Talent PC3200 3-3-3-7
    ASUS A8N-E

Might back off a little, but sure want to keep that 2.7 mark.
    Thanks for the help!

Radio91P:usflag: