Ocz Known Compatability Issues With Dfi Rdx200 Board

edited March 2006 in Hardware
Hi

Earlier today I rang Overclockers.co.uk and asked them what the best OCZ PC4000 Memory they had instock, explained what board I had Etc they said there were known compat issues with my board and OCZ Mem and tried to sell me Mushkin redline PC4000 2GB Kit(nice memory).

1. I it true there are issues?
2. If not what would be the best OCZ Mem for me £150-250 2GB Kit

Calous3

Comments

• edited March 2006
    calous3 wrote:
    Hi

Earlier today I rang Overclockers.co.uk and asked them what the best OCZ PC4000 Memory they had instock, explained what board I had Etc they said there were known compat issues with my board and OCZ Mem and tried to sell me Mushkin redline PC4000 2GB Kit(nice memory).

1. I it true there are issues?
    2. If not what would be the best OCZ Mem for me £150-250 2GB Kit

Calous3

Hi Calous

I can't beleive OCUK would tell you this as Mushkin Redline uses the same IC's we use. Their 4000 is either CE5 which is the same as our 4000EB or the UCCC sammy IC's we use on our 4000Gold range.

I have 4000EB and 4000gold here with ZERO issues on the RDX200, I have 2 boards here as well as 2 Experts and 2 Old school DFI NF4's and a Venus and NONE of the 4000 modules show any issues on the boards. fact is you may have to boot with one module, set timings then switch off and add the second but thats a board issue and not the ram. I have also modded bios files for these boards which help with boot issues and overclocking, most are available on the DFI street forums.

Who did you speak to at OCUK, did you get the sales rep's name?

Thanks

Tony
  • edited March 2006
    ocztony wrote:
    Hi Calous

I can't beleive OCUK would tell you this as Mushkin Redline uses the same IC's we use. Their 4000 is either CE5 which is the same as our 4000EB or the UCCC sammy IC's we use on our 4000Gold range.

I have 4000EB and 4000gold here with ZERO issues on the RDX200, I have 2 boards here as well as 2 Experts and 2 Old school DFI NF4's and a Venus and NONE of the 4000 modules show any issues on the boards. fact is you may have to boot with one module, set timings then switch off and add the second but thats a board issue and not the ram. I have also modded bios files for these boards which help with boot issues and overclocking, most are available on the DFI street forums.

Who did you speak to at OCUK, did you get the sales rep's name?

Tony

Hi

I spoke to Phil.

I origionally was looking for the pc4000 gold vx edition but it seems high end OCZ Mem is like like rocking horse **** at the moment, rare. I'm sure this is due to me looking in the wrong places. OCUK Have the folllowing given the choice then which modules would you say are the best.

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC4000 Dual Channel Gold GX XTC Series EL-DDR CAS3

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC4000 Dual Channel Platinum Series EB-DDR CAS3

Thanks

Calous3
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    Welcome to Short-Media Tony.. :cheers:

@calous3: I also find it strange that they made that statement. There are many people using OCZ PC4000 dimms on the DFI RDX board. As Tony mentioned, there may be a first-time bootup issue where you need to use only one dimm prior to setting the timings/vdimm, but this is not a memory issue at all.

Btw, the OCZ 2GB Platinum EB series is probably the best memory on the market right now (The 3-3-2 timings are pretty sweet for PC4000 2GB!)
  • edited March 2006
    lemonlime wrote:
    Welcome to Short-Media Tony.. :cheers:

@calous3: I also find it strange that they made that statement. There are many people using OCZ PC4000 dimms on the DFI RDX board. As Tony mentioned, there may be a first-time bootup issue where you need to use only one dimm prior to setting the timings/vdimm, but this is not a memory issue at all.

Btw, the OCZ 2GB Platinum EB series is probably the best memory on the market right now (The 3-3-2 timings are pretty sweet for PC4000 2GB!)

Thanks

Took your advice OCZ Platinum eb arrives tomorrow.

woohoo

Calous3
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited March 2006
    lemonlime wrote:

I want to second Lemonlime's statement on this RAM. I have this in my gaming rig and its the absolute best RAM you can get PERIOD! OCZ has done a wonderful job with this stuff.
  • edited March 2006
    Hi

Pc4000 eb Memory arrived today, but I'm have major hassle getting comp to boot. Did what you said just put one in dimm 1 just set evry thing to auto v/dimm was oon 2.8 wouldn't boot, set the timings as it said on the memory 3.4.3.8 still nothing. Put it into dimm 2 boots then put the second into dimm 4 boots fine. But....

Last nite I read that I should'nt be running 1T in 1 & 3 Dimms so I moved my mem(2x512 Mushkin Redline) into 2 & 4 Only got 1/2 FPS in 3dmark06 Put them back 1 & 3 evry thing back to normal.

I've currently got OCZ in 1 & 3 9/10 2T Running Auto showing as 360 MHZ

only half FPS 3d MArk 06.

Sorry if i'm a bit confusing but I'm a bit confused

Calous3
  • edited March 2006
    Please clear cmos, put 1 dimm in the orange slot furthest away from the CPU.Boot to bios, set ther board up at default 200fsb with 3-3-2-8 timings. Then reboot but switch the board off as it starts to boot. Add the second dimm in the orange slot nearest the CPU and boot to memtest to make sure the board is running correctly.

If all is ok make sure you set LDT speed at 4X or 800, make sure drive is set at 8 in bios and data drive is set to -50% reduced.
    If you have issues please check out the OCZ support forum over at www.bleedinedge.com, just follow the OCZ link, we can help you there get the board stable.

My email addy is listed over at BE also and you could mail me your home number and i could call you if needed.

Tony
  • edited March 2006
    Thanks Tony thats really appreciated.

Will let you know

Cheers

Calous3
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited March 2006
    1. Calous, I did warn you about overclockers.co.uk. They don't know their arse from their elbow.:rant:

2. You've got a DFI board so expect to have some teething trouble before you get it running sweet. The memory set up guides over at bleeding edge were a huge help to me in getting my DFI board set up right.

3. Welcome Tony, nice to see you here. :respect:
  • edited March 2006
    calous

i need to know the coloou of the heatspreaders on the dimms and the part number and timings stated on the dimms.

4000gold is 3-4-3-8
    4000Eb is 3-3-2-8
  • edited March 2006
    Hi again

Did what you said Tony though when running Memtest memory bandwidth only 1482 is this normal. The heat srpeader are silver, the timings state 3.4.3.8 though the part code is for the platinum eb.(OCZ5002048EBPE-K) (MY-058-OC)

Cheers

Calous

Calous3
  • edited March 2006
    pop me an email m8 with your phone number.

PM me for the addy