All In Wonder card with Media Center Edition

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited March 2006 in Hardware
Yes? No? I was never able to get a cohesive answer from my half-assed searches.

Does Windows Media Center Edition support Radeon All-In-Wonder cards?

I have Windows XP on there, and I do actually like the ATI Multimedia Center, but I am starting to get the itch to buy MCE because some customers have it, and I should know what I'm doing with it so I can support it.

I know you can download and run ATI Multimedia Center on MCE, but can you use the microsoft MCE integrated (the stuff that actually MAKES it MCE) stuff with the AIW cards?

Comments

• deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited March 2006
    Driver linky

Linky

Q7: Is my Radeon® or All-in-Wonder® product supported in Windows XP Media Center Edition?

A7: The following Radeon® and All-In-Wonder® Products are supported:

* Radeon® 9550 Series or higher
    * All-In-Wonder® 9600 Series or higher

You should read the driver linky page before installing, there's some info there.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    See, I've found that before... But that's worded very ambiguously. That means you can run MCE on an AIW card, but Microsoft's Media Center won't actually work on it - you have to use the ATI Multimedia Center.... Replacing Media Center with ATI MMC is basically ruining the entire point of MCE. At that point, it's the same as XP with MMC running on top of it.

Let me rephrase it: Basically I want to know, can I run Microsoft Media Center on an ATI AIW card?
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited March 2006
    Ah, I see what you mean.

According to this:

linkage

and various other posts, anything above a 9XXX series AIW should work, although you might need to purchase the software mpeg encoder from the ATI site. The x1xxxx series AIW should work fine without the encoder.

Also check out This. Which, while not answering your question at all was written by a Mr William Van Winkle.

That's William Van winkle.