ATI vs Nvidia vs Other Poll

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited April 2006 in Hardware
Well in the graphics world we have jumped all over the market in terms of Graphic card makers. But it has boiled down to just a few big shots in the over all market with a few low ballers as well. So with that said, what current graphic card manufacture do your prefer? And why?

Comments

• tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited March 2006
    I have an ati x800XL, but I'm dying for a 7900GTX. (i have agp right now, but for my next rig i want it.)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Almost exclusive ATI... only because all my cards are at least a year old and ATI was the cheapest for the quality.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited March 2006
    N to the V to the IDIA!
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Nvidia, because they care about giving me an option in operating systems by releasing optimized drivers for Linux, BSD, and Solaris.

Just Say No To ATI's Awful Linux Drivers.

-drasnor :fold:
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    What is linux??? ;D

OK... Skryking keeps telling me that ATI sux in Linux...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    ATI currently has what I regard as the best. Had you posted this poll 45 days ago, I would've said nvidia.
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited March 2006
    Nvidia is gamer friendly.....Ati is benchmark friendly.. I play games not benchmarks...I vote for Nvidia....:usflag:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Honestly, I don't have a set-in-stone preference, I just buy whatever is the betws value at the time I'm looking. All of the old "so-and-so has crappy drivers" or "this manufacturer is better for that task" type generalization has in my opinion been out the window for several years now.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited March 2006
    drasnor wrote:
    Nvidia, because they care about giving me an option in operating systems by releasing optimized drivers for Linux, BSD, and Solaris.

Just Say No To ATI's Awful Linux Drivers.

-drasnor :fold:
    That probably wont be the case for long ati just bought XGI and is making them work on there linux drivers :).

But yah right now all my linux boxes have nvidia cards atis linux supports a joke.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited March 2006
    I am and will continue being a Nvidia fanboi until ATI convinces me to do otherwise. I've been using Nvidia GPU's since I had a Gforce 3 and I have had no problems out of them ever. The only good ATI card I have ever owned was a Radion 8500 that I bought back in 2001.

My only qualm in general with vid cards is the price really. I bought 2 7800GTX's the first week they were released, and in less then 12 months they are obsolete. One thing I can say good about these new cards is that there isn't a huge gap between the GT and GTX like in the 7800 series. From what I am seeing, it's possiable to get a GT clocked up there pretty far...even into the GTX clock speed realm.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited March 2006
    my personal preference is ATI. my 2 9800pro's are the best cards ive ever owned.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    With 19 votes and 10,000 visitors daily I think there is a few numbers missing! lol even if you don't know much about graphics lets here which company you would choose based on what you have slightly heard online.