Snippet: Media center in windows vista

deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
edited March 2006 in Hardware
Miscrosoft has a nifty little showcase up about media center in windows vista.

Linkage

The first page is about using an Xbox360 as a media center extender. If you've not heard of a media center extender, it's microsofts set top box type technology, and allows a device to act as a remote access point for your media library. Using the Xbox 360 (or any other media center extender) you can control your media center PC as if you were sat in front of it, and stream media to the device seamlessly.

Vista will also introduce a new specification for mobile music players, the 'plays for sure' specification. This is a set of connectivity specifications that will ensure true plug and play compatibility between windows and a mobile music device. I somehow doubt apple will be rushing to make the iPod conform to this standard, but even so microsoft has a track record of imposing it's standards on everyone else so don't wright this initiative off just yet.

Other than that this product showcase is high gloss and low content, but there's plenty of pretty pictures to look at.

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Using the Xbox360 as an MCX is a good idea, especially for a non-tweaker. For a tweaker (like me), though, I'd rather build a PC specifically for the task of being the MCX-type device, since it will be easier to get a PC to behave exactly how the user wants.