Nvidia Geforce 7900GT Overclocking

2»

Comments

• JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited April 2006
    As Lemon says it's not just the strain it put on the core it's also how many volts you can put through the pcb & components. I managed to kill 2 6800nu & they had a pelt cooling on the core. Personally I wont be going above 1.5v when my 7900's arrive.
  • edited April 2006
    heh, i put the decent amount of voltage through it 1.5 is quite mild compared to the 1.7 and the mem mod has worked for others... Im thinking now that maybe i shorted the card out by touching the pci-e power plug pins on the board with the multimeter cause thats when it died... but from pluggin the card in everything seemed sluggish?
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited April 2006
    skankinred wrote:
    What product would you reccomend for soldering the resistors on this board? I'm thinking about those cold soldering irons and something with a very sharp tip. I'm not sure where to start.

dont get one of those, they generate heat by passing electricity directly through the tip so theyre terrible for working on pcb's. You can risk damaging your card.

just get one of these, theyre fine. I've soldered over 15 modchips in xboxs with this exact iron, and 4 ps2 modchips....not to mention tons of led's, and a mod to my ti-83 calculator that oc'd it :rockon:. When working on pcb's never go higher than a 15w iron, especially if your not experienced with soldering. I've gotten by a few times with a 30w, but I also fried an xbox mobo when rebuilding the lpc ports.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062728&cp=&origkw=soldering+iron&kw=soldering+iron&parentPage=search
  • edited April 2006
    lol my BFG has a capcitor missing... still runs though. Anyone know a good nvidia OCing app, coolbits has a mem limit of 800 my card can run 900, rivatuner only lets me increase the core limit, powerstrip my trial is over.... ideas anyone?
  • SquillSquill Chesterfield, Va
    edited April 2006
    Just got my eVGA 7900GT Today, will be overclocking later this week :Rocker:
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I just got 2 of the XFX 7900's today. hopefully i can start playing with them this weekend. I have already clamped the waterblock on one of them though :D
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited April 2006
    These cards run so cool its pathetic. I have my EVGA 7900GT (the one that wasn't DOA) core OC'd to 600 already without the volt mod and it hasn't broken 36C on Oblivion at ultra high (yes, running on ultra high alone) using a Zalman Fatal1ty cooler.

I'm in that boat of "How do I get my GDDR3 higher then 750." when its rated at 1500. It's very wierd cause 750 is exactly half of 1500, so I OCd it up to 800 for now cause anything much higher then that without the volt mod is making it unstable.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    You must not understand how the memory reading is on your graphics card. The Ram on the card is double Data making it so you times the number you see "750" x 2 making it rated at 1500. Your card is running at its stock speed for the memory...
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited April 2006
    Thats what I was figuring when I multiplied the GDDR3 by 2, It came out to 1500. I'm so used to my 7800GTX's showing me 1300 for GDDR in coolbits that when I saw 750 I'm like "WTF!".

So then I guess I am running at 600/1600 without the vmod. Soon as my RMA gets back I'll apply the 1.55 vmod and crank that baby up to 700 (or as close as I can get it =D)