IRQ Not Configured

Brutalboy99Brutalboy99 Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA
edited March 2006 in Hardware
Hello:
My daughter's IBM R40 laptop stopping running today and comes up with error Messages that say:

ERROR
o271: Check date & time settings
ERROR
Warning: IRQ not configured - PCI Serial BIOS Controller on Motherboard
Bus:00, Device:1D, Function:00
Bus:01, Device:1D, Function:00
ERROR
Bus:02, Device:02, Function:00
ERROR
Warning: IRQ not configured - PCI Network Controller in Slot 01
Bus:02, Device:02, Function:00
ERROR
Warning: IRQ not configured - PCI Serial Bus Controller on Motherboard
Bus:02, Device:07, Function:00
ERROR
Bus:02, Device:08, Function:00

Can someone offer some advice, suggestions, etc. I really would appreciate it, of course it happens the night she has to finish a project for school and can't get to the data she has already completed. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, you guys are great.

BB

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2006
    It sounds like the BIOS has lost its settings, perhaps due to a dead CMOS battery. With the laptop plugged into the wall, can you get into the BIOS at all? The info I found says that you need to hit F1 to get there. :)
  • Brutalboy99Brutalboy99 Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA
    edited March 2006
    Yes, I can get to the F1 utility screen. can I change settings or something?
    edited March 2006
    The first error on your list refers to the date and time, see if you can start with that.

The other errors are going to be harder to track down. See if there is a place where you can auto-detect Hard Drives and other devices on IDE Channels. It also mentions that your Network Controller is not configured properly. Without having the machine right in front of me (and with no luck finding a manual, at least so far), it is hard to say exactly. If there is a setting to force an update of ESCD enable it.

The BIOS essentially functions on your computer the way the starter does on a car. It gets things going, then hands the rest of the job of starting the machine off to the Operating System (Windows). It's a little more complex than that, since it also does some basic configuration of the computers hardware. The fact that you're getting hardware errors and the date & time are wrong indicate that it has lost its settings.
    edited March 2006
    I was able to reset the date & time but that's it. I don't see any ESCD (what is that?)

I was able to find tech guide ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/r40estg_en_92p1843.pdf

not sure if this will help.

Also, in speaking to a friend he thought maybe the CMOS battery needed to be replaced? Does that sound right?

BB
    edited March 2006
    I was able to reset the date & time but that's it. I don't see any ESCD (what is that?)

I was able to find tech guide ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/r40estg_en_92p1843.pdf

not sure if this will help.

Excellent! Pages 14 & 15 (going by the numbers on the page itself) have a list of common errors and what steps to take. See if that gets you going.
    Also, in speaking to a friend he thought maybe the CMOS battery needed to be replaced? Does that sound right?

BB
    I mentioned that in my first response. It is well worth pursuing. Even if it doesn't do the trick it will only cost you a couple bucks to find out.
    edited March 2006
    Prof:
    Just wanted you to know I found the problem my daughter had dropped the laptop and cracked the keyboard and broke a piece of the machine. Luckily it was still under warranty and was fixed by the school IT team. Must have jostled the insides! Anyway she's back working fine. Thanks for the help. Meanwhile I just backed up her entire machine just in case! Thanks again.

BB
    edited March 2006
    Glad to hear you're back in business. :)