static question

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited March 2006 in Hardware
I keep getting static buildup and shocking the crap outta myself on various things. I noticed that I'll even shock myself on my laptop from time to time, on some of the metallic peices like the speaker cage.

Do you think this could cause some problems?

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Is this just at home or most places? It does seem that you could be at greater risk of having problems than most prople. :hair: If just at home, it could be very dry inside the house or cheap nylon carpet.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    At work actually, the carpet here sucks :P But ever since moving to Dallas lots of voltage has run through me :hair:
  • edited March 2006
    im having the same problem. whenever i get out of my car i get shocked, or if im walking in to the house and touch the doorknob ill get shocked. i was told it has something to do with the weather but i dont know.

bikerboy
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Tonight here at work, I'll be walking past a door way(metal frame) and get shocked... damn I am carrying some voltage right now. I get a bit scared anytime I get close to metal objects now lol The last couple times actually hurt a bit. Reminded me of those electric starters for stoves.
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited March 2006
    Same here :shakehead

I can't touch anything that is matellic. Like Bikerboy, if I touch the car or any door handle I get a shock...and damn it hurts! :grumble:. I was told it could the clothes you wear? :hair:

I find that static comes when I use my right hand more than my left. :wtf:
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited March 2006
    RWB wrote:
    Tonight here at work, I'll be walking past a door way(metal frame) and get shocked... damn I am carrying some voltage right now. I get a bit scared anytime I get close to metal objects now lol The last couple times actually hurt a bit. Reminded me of those electric starters for stoves.

Humm .... ground your self with one of those static rist straps ... sure is uncomfterable and you look crazy but it will work ;) .

If you dont want to do that you can get stuff to spray on yourself to stop it (I don't remember the products name)
  • edited March 2006
    Stop wearing clothes with synthetics in them. Wear all cotton and if possible look for SD (Static Disipative) shoes that feature carbon traces that touch your feet and carry it to the floor.

The static being disipated on the outsides of your PC won't hurt anything since it's shielding the parts that are sensitive to static but should you touch an internal part without grounding yourself it will kill or damage parts.