Old guy needs help on iPod video

edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
edited March 2006 in Internet & Media
I have an iPod, I have a DVD, I have free-video-on-ipod software, but I am missing something.
I presume that I first need to rip the DVD to my hdd.
With what software?
Please give me a clue.
tks
I want to watch movies when I need to kill time traveling. I figure things like 'The Incredibles' would be fun.

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited March 2006
    I think you could try this:

Download the donateware Videora

Run the program, click setup and set the Output to where you want. Click the Convert tab, then select One-Click Transcode and point the program to the file you want to convert. When done, simply drag-n-drop it into itunes and configure itunes to sync the file manually.

It MUST be a DIVX codec DVD movie

(Source- Maximum PC, 4/2006)

Let me know how it goes if you try it- I read about it yesterday but don't have a video-pod (so I haven't tried it).

Hope that helps :thumbsup:
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    I'll try it. Being DLed now.

What software do you use to rip DVDs to your hddd???? I need something easy.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    i personally have a plethora of prgrams. the program i use most often is dvdfab decrypter. followed by DVD decrypter. for burning the ripped files to dvd i use DVD shrink 3.2
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited March 2006
    edcentric wrote:
    What software do you use to rip DVDs to your hddd???? I need something easy.
    I personally don't rip DVDs. But the same source as my other tip strongly recommends
    Intervideo DVD Copy 4

If your disc is protection-encrypted, you could combine it with AnyDVD which removes the copy protection and region encoding.

While other utilities may copy the DVD for you- they will generally decrypt them into VOB files- which you should have an editor to recode with. DVD Copy will transcode it into just about whatever you want- including MP4- which ipod uses.

Here's your caveat emptor: You spend the money here and there are still bruhahas in the courts over this. I think you pay either way- but this stuff is all sold over-the-counter on the open market and the information is public domain.